Recommended shower head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gyrophoenix

Obviously a water-saving brand of shower head is logical for a coach, particularly when the majority of our time will be boondocking. Are there any brands that ya'll have found to be your favorite? Preferred would be a brand that has a shut-off valve set-up which allows the water to be turned off and on, without having to open and close the hot and cold faucets once the correct temperature has been set, every time you want to shut off the water flow for a minute or two. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Oxygenics brand is the most popular. We have had ones in various rigs for years. There is a pan assortment of styles, so find one you like. They have good water pressure when running on a pump.

My RV came with the OEM shower head which looked like the sprayer for a kitchen sink, so I based on prevailing opinion I got an oxygenics shower head. For the pro's, it does seem to have a nice "coverage" for the given pressure and flow, and the on-off flip lever is easy to work. Con's, the one I got is huge and sticks way out from the wall. I can't relocate it any higher or it hits the ceiling. The hose that comes with it is pretty heavy and stiff, seems it's a bit "robust" given the pressure and flow of a shower head. The handheld shower wand in the S&B shower has a thinner and more flexible hose, so if the end fittings are the same I might entertain swapping it out. So I would say that the oxygenics is working as advertised but after a few years of taking showers with the thing I would say it's not that big a deal. Especially if you're running off the tank it's not like you're taking a 20 minute shower and there's all that much water to save. Even with hookups I'm in and out of there pretty quickly, something about taking a shower in a phone booth gives some incentive to keep it short. Upshot of this post is to consider the physical size of whatever you pick and where it will be spraying when in the holder. The economy of the water use is a factor, but for those few minutes it will be in use it's not a significant one.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I'm with Mark on this one. When I first bought the motor home in 2015, I didn't know much about RV's and read about how good the Oxygenics shower head was. I finally bought into the hype and ordered the RV model. Its a very tall head from the hose connection to the top, not sure why, but then you add the off-dribble/on valve on the bottom of it and it was hugely tall. Put it in the holder and its bumping the top of the shower.

I quickly discovered that I actually preferred the finer spray of the original type shower head to the "bubbling water" of the Oxygenics head.

As the original shower head in the motor home was deteriorated from age (it had the little rubber spray nozzles on it) I searched and found it was a Delta Faucet 2-Spray Touch-Clean Hand Held Shower Head, White 59462-WHB15-BG rated at ‎1.5 Gallons Per Minute.

3156NqgFg0L._AC_.jpg

I installed it in the motor home, and after I bought a Thor trailer I bought one for it (whatever was in it was in sad shape) and when I bought the current Bigfoot, it had an Oxygenics head in it, which I promptly removed and installed a new Delta shower head..

The one thing I want in a shower is a hose on the head long enough to actually use the head as a hand wand, since, as Mark says, most RV's have a phone booth for a shower stall and mine is no different.

I now have one slightly used and one new Oxygenics shower heads in my plastic tub of RV odds and ends, removed parts that are still good, etc.

Charles

Last edited:
When you use one of these shut off shower heads you'll find that you'll get a cold water blast when you turn back on. The system is designs this way.
There is a fix for this and it alway safes more water. I've done it twice now and works well.
It take two pieces. One completely shuts off the water between the spigot and the hose. The other one is a one way valve that doesn't let cold water to be forced back into the hot water line.
Check out this youtube video for a complete explanation.
The hardest part on doing this in a shower stall is accessible. Parts shown below from Amazon
Camco 23303 1/2" back flow preventer $8.00
KES Shut off K1140BCH $12.00

Happy showering.

WildBi11

Attachments

• 81IM4i1wkmL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
    81IM4i1wkmL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 61ugfQele6L._AC_SL1000_.jpeg
    61ugfQele6L._AC_SL1000_.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3
When you use one of these shut off shower heads you'll find that you'll get a cold water blast when you turn back on. The system is designs this way.
There is a fix for this and it alway safes more water. I've done it twice now and works well.
It take two pieces. One completely shuts off the water between the spigot and the hose. The other one is a one way valve that doesn't let cold water to be forced back into the hot water line.
Check out this youtube video for a complete explanation.
The hardest part on doing this in a shower stall is accessible. Parts shown below from Amazon
Camco 23303 1/2" back flow preventer $8.00
KES Shut off K1140BCH $12.00

Happy showering.

WildBi11

The valve on the Oxygenics RV model does not shut the water completely off, it reduces it to a slight dribble. This lets the temp of the water stay constant. The original shower head that came with my coach operated as you described. Another reason to switch, IMHO.

After reading many posts on different RVing forums that the Oxygenics was best for reducing water consumption, I compared the rated flow of my OEM shower faucet to the Oxygenics. Guess what_ my OEM shower head has less GPM flow.

Its not just about flow, it is about how effective it subjectively feels when showering, therefore how clean you feel after X amount of time under the shower.

Isaac has it right- at low flow levels, the Oxy still feels like it has higher pressure, which is why it was recommended to me years ago.

When I plumb my coach, I installed a Moen pull on push off shower faucet. No need for switch on head. Also installed Oxygenic head, but the real savings is to catch and use the cold water before the hot water gets to the head, then the GI shower. We get two flushes.

My RV came with the OEM shower head which looked like the sprayer for a kitchen sink, so I based on prevailing opinion I got an oxygenics shower head. For the pro's, it does seem to have a nice "coverage" for the given pressure and flow, and the on-off flip lever is easy to work. Con's, the one I got is huge and sticks way out from the wall. I can't relocate it any higher or it hits the ceiling. The hose that comes with it is pretty heavy and stiff, seems it's a bit "robust" given the pressure and flow of a shower head. The handheld shower wand in the S&B shower has a thinner and more flexible hose, so if the end fittings are the same I might entertain swapping it out. So I would say that the oxygenics is working as advertised but after a few years of taking showers with the thing I would say it's not that big a deal. Especially if you're running off the tank it's not like you're taking a 20 minute shower and there's all that much water to save. Even with hookups I'm in and out of there pretty quickly, something about taking a shower in a phone booth gives some incentive to keep it short. Upshot of this post is to consider the physical size of whatever you pick and where it will be spraying when in the holder shower head manufacturer. The economy of the water use is a factor, but for those few minutes it will be in use it's not a significant one.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Has anyone ever used one? Or had one? Want a shower head that will have maximum pressure and use less water... It seems. It fits the bill, reviews are good.. But anyone have first hand experience?

Has anyone ever used one? Or had one? Want a shower head that will have maximum pressure and use less water... It seems. It fits the bill, reviews are good.. But anyone have first hand experience?
Based on "so based on prevailing opinion I got an oxygenics shower head" in the post you quoted, it appears Mark has one. So do several other people who responded in this thread.

Myself, I just got a pancake-style showerhead at Walmart and added a shutoff valve to it.

And, years later my opinion of it hasn't changed. They work fine, but I haven't figured out what problem they solve. It seems perfectly logical that using less water is better but you're in the shower such a short time the gallon or two it might save doesn't make a lot of difference. If 1 or 2 gallons does make a lot of difference you probably won't be taking any showers oxygenics or not.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom