RecPro furniture reviews and durability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Our lippert furniture has failed, the spray on "leather" is peeling off.
We are looking at the RecPro furniture and would like some real RVers reviews on it.
Interested in the recliners with console

Thanks

Following, need to replace the cloth couch & not sure if I want to go with "leather" or not.

Reactions: SMR
I had the very same problem with my jack knife sofa and just the past two weeks attempted to find a replacement sofa. I called around, including the factory and was told to contact a dealer. I also looked at the Rec Pro stuff, but was also limited by the size requirements that was stocked by some of the outlets for rv furniture.

The more I learned about the crappy factory materials and the simular replacements, I went to a quality auto upholstery outlet and picked out quality material to have my couch parts recovered. I am able to save about 200 bucks from buying simular crap and install it in the camper again. By comparison the new leather type materials is probably ten times the thickness. Depending on the condition of the foam, you may need to replace that too. But rest assured the new stuff is still better than the stock foam too.

With me I may not keep this unit forever and a day. But when I update something I try to improve it too. And its good enough that my four legged princess will probably approve, not abuse it either. This is her own double bed.

We bought RecPro in the Ultra Leather. The furniture is very comfortable, and the mechanisms work very smoothly, but after a bit more than 3 years the stupid Ultra Leather started to peel, just like all the rest. Went back to the RecPro site and discovered that they now sell their furniture in clothe upholstery.
We re-ordered the same furniture in clothe, and are very happy with it. The clothe actually matches the remaining furniture(driver's/passenger seats and dining chairs)a lot better than the Ultra Leather did.

You pretty much get what you pay for in upholstery, whether cloth or faux (simulated) leather. Ultraleather is as good or better than real leather (I've owned both). I'm told that Sunbrella's Horizon faux leather is also excellent.

Buying replacement furniture to get new upholstery is chancy unless you have a good eye and some knowledge of fabric types. I think its smarter to get your existing stuff recovered if it is otherwise in good shape, simply because you can choose the fabric and discuss its durability, stain-resist etc with the shop before you purchase. Be prepared for sticker shock, though. The good stuff is expensive (which is why the factory seats came with crappy upholstery).

We bought RecPro recliners (theater seats) also in the cloth material. We didn’t want to take a chance on the fake leather peeling like our original seats did. We looked at possibly having the original seats reupholstered but the cost was 2-3 times more than just buying new seating that was actually better than the original seats.

We have had the RecPro seats for over a year now and are very pleased with the fabric wear and stain resistance. It’s also very comfortable. We would buy it again.

Vicki

Thanks for the replies. As of now we are going with the cloth furniture, of course that could change. 😎

I got my couch back after getting it covered with high quality leather like fabric. I am having the dinette done. It really brightens up the camper and the dinette will continue to brighten things up. I spent 150 bucks less then going the online sources and probably getting the same crappy stuff again.

Attachments

• DSC00597.JPG
    DSC00597.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
We received all the fabric samples and decided to go with the Brisa fabric. Should have the new one in week. Has a 5 year warranty on the fabric, we shall see.

I would go with fabric. We did the whole set up theater seats and a new dinette. The fake leather peeled in less than a year. They did however replace it. Also the pulls for the theater seats broke.

We are looking at the RecPro furniture and would like some real RVers reviews on it.

Thanks
I just put mine together in our camper. Got the 67” electric. It’s well made, comfortable and beautiful

Thanks
I just put my 67” electric loveseat recliner from recpro together. Best camper furniture I bought. It’s well made, comfy, and beautiful

Attachments

• 74384994-190A-4837-A599-A47095A8E087.jpeg
    74384994-190A-4837-A599-A47095A8E087.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 905E7787-B1B7-4339-9EA5-F5C3FA30C191.jpeg
    905E7787-B1B7-4339-9EA5-F5C3FA30C191.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 7
  • B3D566A2-4DA3-43D6-9D1C-C2C38D40BA78.jpeg
    B3D566A2-4DA3-43D6-9D1C-C2C38D40BA78.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 7
You pretty much get what you pay for in upholstery, whether cloth or faux (simulated) leather. Ultraleather is as good or better than real leather (I've owned both). I'm told that Sunbrella's Horizon faux leather is also excellent.

Buying replacement furniture to get new upholstery is chancy unless you have a good eye and some knowledge of fabric types. I think its smarter to get your existing stuff recovered if it is otherwise in good shape, simply because you can choose the fabric and discuss its durability, stain-resist etc with the shop before you purchase. Be prepared for sticker shock, though. The good stuff is expensive (which is why the factory seats came with crappy upholstery).
I agree with Gary's perspective.

FWIW Chris (my better half) had a business remodelling the interiors of boats and homes. One of her specialities was re-upholstering furniture on boats. Attached are a couple of examples.

She bought (and still buys) her fabric from SailRite in Florida. Quality is always good, prices are competitive, and fabric always arrives promptly. She used Sunbrella extensively for indoor and outdoor use.

Here's just a small sample of boats she worked on; Customers were very happy.

Attachments

• PICT4222.JPG
    PICT4222.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PICT1758.JPG
    PICT1758.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 6

Real leather is better than any faux leather. The trouble is the quality and process used to "make the leather. Usually the mass production companies are using bonded leather the cheapest leather around but it is soft and supple and lasts past the warranty period.

Hey there! I haven't personally tried RecPro furniture, but I've heard good things about their durability. It's always helpful to read reviews from other customers who have experienced their products first hand.

Real leather is better than any faux leather. The trouble is the quality and process used to "make the leather. Usually the mass production companies are using bonded leather the cheapest leather around but it is soft and supple and lasts past the warranty period.
Hardly any of the "leather" upholstery in an RV is actual animal hide - you have to get into luxury class rigs to get that grade of upholstery. Terms like full grain, top grain and split grain apply to real animal hide leather and they are all pricey. "Bonded" leathers are a blend of synthetics (vinyl or polyurethane) & scraps of real leather glued to a backer of some sort and too often shoddily made as darsben describes. Top quality full-synthetics like Naugahyde and Ultraleather are (my opinion) far superior to most bonded leathers, if for no reason other than a high quality manufacturing process. Purists will argue whether high end synthetics are the equal of real leather and it probably depends on your definition of "better". Sort of like whether organic fruit is "better" than other fruit.

Furniture manufacturers focused on quality rather than price use one of the real leathers or a high end synthetic, coupled with the best frames and cushioning. The rest use whatever they can get at their price point.

I just put my 67” electric loveseat recliner from recpro together. Best camper furniture I bought. It’s well made, comfy, and beautiful
We replaced our jackknife "mess" with the exact same RecPro recliners. Three years later still works & looks fine.

Glad to see the good reviews on RecPro. I just bought a RecPro fabric recliner and so far like it very much. I used it in the house for a couple of weeks then I got the garbage Jackknife sofa out of the trailer and put the recliner in. Haven't been on the road with it yet but soon. My better half has a small swivel rocker that she likes. It has a broken spring in the swivel/rocker mechanism and has been in our storeroom over the garage for a while. I found a new mechanism online. I'll replace that and then put the chair in the trailer slideout next to my recliner. This is going to be a great comfort improvement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom