Refilling 1 lb propane bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without reading the replies; Yes they can be refilled, no it is not illegal to refill them. It is illegal to refill them then resell them, at least that is how the label reads in Indiana.
By inverting a 20# cylinder with hose attached, the 1# cylinder is hung from the hose. I have a stand with a scale on top, sit the 1#cylinder on the scale and open the 20# cylinder valve.
Then gravity slowly fills the 1# cylinder; but, it will fill completely full/100% if you neglect to watch the process. Liquid is heavier than vapor, so the vapor winds up in the 20#cylinder.
From reading the pages of comments/replies on Rving forums, the vast majority of people over-think the procedure.

The key is inverting the feed cylinder and elevating it above the recipient cylinder so liquid propane flows into it instead of vapor. Unfortunately, this also defeats all of the safety protocols in both cylinders and since liquid propane is 270 times denser than the vapor, even a small liquid leak can quickly become catastrophic.

I have also been filling my own well used 1 pound bottles for several years from a 5 gallon tank upside down,, just throw the 1 pounders in a freezer for 30 to 40 minutes and I fill them as full as you can buy them new..>>>Dan
How do you get the propane out of the 5 gallon tank? Seems like the OPD on the valve would prevent the propane from coming out once you turn the tank upside-down.

Invert the large tank on a bench,, plug the 1 pounder into the adapter,,, slowly open the hand valve of the large tank..,,once the small tank is full, no more more liquid will transfer,, so give it a little time and pull it off after closing the valve.. Easy peesy.. I compare the weight to a full one and its done,,, next bottle..>>>Dan

Most new RV's come with outside low pressure propane connections. That and a 20 ft hose with a male nipple and a female disconnect/shutoff on it, plus any adapters you might need for Coleman, Blackstone, Camp Chef, etc, will take care of your situation and no small canisters to keep track of.
Grills that use the 1 lb bottles require a high pressure (unregulated) LP connection, not the low pressure one after the RV's regulator.

Many if not most grills and griddles now have external regulators that are quickly removed. This allows them to be operated on the RV's low pressure system with the right adapter, or by installing the regulator, they can be operated on the 1 lb canister.

This is the Blackstone griddles regulator that accepts 1 lb canisters, and comes standard with the griddle.

1679766053596.png

This is and adapter that allows the same griddle to be operated on the RV's low pressure system via a hose, or a remote LP cylinder and regulator.

1679766363683.png

Charles

We use disposable 1 lb cylinders for our grill once a while when we want it located a distance from our motorhome. Otherwise, we just connect a 12' hose to the outlet fitting on our Extend-A-Stay adapter that has the same fittings as the disposable cylinder and the regulator input on the grill.

Many if not most grills and griddles now have external regulators that are quickly removed. This allows them to be operated on the RV's low pressure system with the right adapter, or by installing the regulator, they can be operated on the 1 lb canister.

This is the Blackstone griddles regulator that accepts 1 lb canisters, and comes standard with the griddle.

View attachment 163033

This is and adapter that allows the same griddle to be operated on the RV's low pressure system via a hose, or a remote LP cylinder and regulator.

View attachment 163036

Charles
I wonder if that adapter is a standard size that would fit the Coleman grills or most table-top BBQs? I usually carry an extra 20lb bottle and hoses with me, but if I can find the correct adapter that's one less tank I need to bring along!

Grills that use the 1 lb bottles require a high pressure (unregulated) LP connection, not the low pressure one after the RV's regulator.

Gary,
A basic regulator will have a BTU capacity of between 50,000 to 60,000 BTUs. This means that any appliances that have a larger rating will not work with this regulator kit.
First or Single Stage regulators are installed at the propane tank and connect to the service valve. A single-stage regulator has a large BTU capacity, up to 200,000 BTU's. This regulator is used with larger sized grill - those with many burners.
High-pressure regulators, as the name implies, are propane regulators that regulate the high pressure between the propane tank and the appliance. These are typically used on fryers, NOT grills.

This is what Coleman just told me when I asked about the grill that came with my outdoor kitchen. They said that the only way to use the RV tanks were to use a hose that connects directly to the tank to avoid the regulator on the RV

Back
Top Bottom