Refrig in 1998 Bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skedman

I just bought and moved into a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder.  I am parked in a full-time space and have the rig plugged into shore power.  My house batteries were replaced last week (with some issues I had in another post).  Since I got the house batteries replaced, everything was working fine.  Until last night when the low battery indicator on the CO2 detector started going off.  I checked and sure enough - low battery.  I'm not sure why.  So I unplugged the house batteries to make the noise stop so we could sleep.  This morning I go into the refrigerator to get my lunch out to go to work and notice that it is off.  I thought that fridge works of the shore battery (when not on LP).  Is this suppose to be this way???  (My A/C doesn't work either, but I think that is because the thermostat is hooked up to battery.)

Switching to LP is not really an option as the RV will not be moved anytime soon and delivery to where I am at is not available.

The fridge requires 12V to operate regardless of gas or electric (120V) operation and that comes from the house batteries. It sounds like your CONverter is not functioning for some reason as it is the device that keeps the house batteries charged up and also supplies 12V to the the trailer. No 12v fuses blown by any chance??

Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter handy? You can measure directly across the battery terminals a see what may be going on. If you a
reading 12V or less then the converter is not functioning. You should read 13.5 volts or so if it is and you are plugged in. What brand and model is the converter?? (If the fuses (12V) and circuit breakers (120V) are on the same panel the the make and model is likely stenciled on the door to that panel. The converter is likely part and parcel of said panel.

No, I do not have a voltmeter.  I will have to invest in one.  As far as the brand of the converter, I have no idea.  I'm not even sure where it is located.  I've tried searching on the net for it, but apparently it could be anywhere.  I do know where the breakers and fuses are but there is no make or model info around.

I should also note for everyone reading this that I do not have any internet access where the vehicle is located (yet).  I am posting from work 35 miles away so any specific questions or photo requests will be next day at best.

darsben said:
So the bounder is very similar to the southwind
The converter is located on the floor behind the circuit breakers. It is a big box with vents in the top and is probably a magnatek 6300

My breakers are on top "inside" one of the cabinets.  So, do you mean on the floor below that?

No worries.  The first few times I was asked what year my rig was I said 1989 only to be corrected by my wife.  ::)

Back
Top Bottom