Refrigerator Fans-Battery Operated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the refer fan I use in my Norcold 1210 minus the stuffed toy.  It has two fans.  I mounted it at the top of the fins whereas this picture has it at the bottom of the fins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norcold-Refrigerator-Deluxe-Fan-with-Grill-to-INCREASE-cooling-inside-/390661070734

JerryF

Under 3$ with shipping!  This one's from China but you can get them on ebay for about 5 dollars in the us. I bought 2 of them for my fridge

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321227370361?nav=SEARCH

Rene T said:
redbarber,
Where did you purchase your 12 volt fan? I have the one I bought on line for $15 bucks but I was thinking about possibly adding another one. The fan I bought is only about 3" in diameter but it's very quiet.  What size is yours? I'm thinking about buying a furnace door switch and wiring up the fan so that when the door is closed, the fan goes on. I'll adjust it so that when the door is just partly open during storage, the fan will turn off.
Sorry, not much help here, I had the fans left over from my former job.  I wired two in series to reduce the fan speed and current draw.  They still move plenty of air. 

redbarber said:
I wired two in series to reduce the fan speed and current draw.

redbarber,
Hooking them up in series, does it cut the RPM down by about 1/2?  Why not hook them up in parallel? Wouldn't that really increase the air flow and provide better cooling?  If you were always hooked up to shore power, I would think that would be the way to go. There would be no need to worry about current draw.

The fans I used are pretty fast, and louder than I was willing to risk.  At 1/2 speed (roughly), they are virtually silent, only draw 40 milliamps, and still move plenty of air.  I don't think the volume of airflow is that important, just keeping the air stirred up.  It's working really well (I had to turn the temp switch back a notch).  My cost for the project was 47 cents for a pack of alligator clips.

If you get the right fan (small fan with small cfm or a large fan that runs at low rpms), one is plenty and quiet. As redbarber says, you just want to stir things up a bit to help the convection along.

ALL,

Here is a "Super Duper" way to power a fan in a Norcold 1210 refer and a Model 1200 too.  It's Super Duper because the fan will run when the doors are closed but will automatically stop running when you open either door. 

See my PS if you have a Norcold Model 1200.

First, here is the type of fan I have but this will work with any 12 V fan. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORCOLD-REFRIGERATOR-FAN-FOR-RV-12-VOLT-/261566007431

The ground wire is clipped onto a FIN so it's easy.

For a Norcold Model 1210, the positive wire goes down into the defrost tray, so it does not show, and over to the left side wall of the refer.  From there it goes out toward the left door jam in a channel that is on the left side of the refer wall.  I used this channel so it does not show.  It looks better this way.

From there, using white colored tape for looks, the wire goes across to the door jam toward the bottom circular contact that is in the door jam wall.  When you look at the left door itself you will see 3 pins that push in when the door is closed and 3 circular contacts to which these 3 pins connect when the door is closed. 

Now strip an inch of insulation off so you can place the bare wire across the bottom most circular contact.  Twist the wire and squeeze it so it is a little flat.  Finally, tape both sides of the wire, that is going across the bottom most contact, so the bare wire will stay in place on top of the contact.  In this case you tape one side that still has insulation on it the other side is the bare wire that goes beyond the circular contact.  Do NOT cover the contact/wire with tape. You now have the +12V bare wire going across the bottom most contact.  That's it you're done.

This really works well with our Norcold 1210...close door fan runs open door fan stops.

JerryF

PS, I did the same thing with our previous Norcold 1200 refer BUT with the Model 1200 it was even easier because I was able to connect the 12V power to the inside ceiling light.  BTW, I was disappointed that the ceiling light connection did not work in our newer Model 1210.

This won't work on all Norcold refrigerators. Mine is a 3 year old model N811 I believe and there is no constant power to the light. I had to drill a small hole next to the drain tube, run the wire through that hole and locate power on the backside of the fridge. I then purchased a plunger style switch from Lowe's and wired up the fan to this switch. When the door is closed, the switch is activated and the fan runs and when you open the door, the fan stops. I purchased the same fan you show and was not happy with the way it was mounted. I manufactured a different style mount. If you know how to manufacture a mount, you can buy the same fan here: http://www.amazon.com/Evercool-80x15mm-Single-Bearing-EC8015M12CA/dp/B000B5HSM2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413995279&sr=1-1&keywords=80+x+80+x+15+fan

Back
Top Bottom