Refrigerator "level" question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capvan

Our new Jayco TT has a Norcold refrigerator. In the past, I've always been told that camper refrigerators have to be absolutely level. I've been recently told that this requirement has changed. Our camper is stored in a location that is not level. It has a bit of a tilt. I would like to turn the refrigerator on (gas) the day before we leave for a trip. Will this harm the refrigerator? Or will it just not work right if it's not happy with the "levelness"?  :-[ Making the camper level in the storage location is not an option.

Comments and suggestions welcome and thanks!

Bruce

I would try it.....or just use leveling blocks when you park your TT, that way you will know for sure.

You should try to get it reasonable level with some blocks of wood.  It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Check your Norcold manual.

Most Norcold specs call for it to be level within 3 degrees side-to-side and 6 degrees front to back (as seen when looking at the front of the fridge). That is actually quite a bit of tolerance. The rule of thumb is that if you are comfortable walking around in the RV, the fridge is probably ok.

It's a long story, but in my original post I stated that making the camper level in it's current location is not an option. I am not comfortable at all walking around in the TT. So...I guess I shouldn't try using the frig until I can get it moved.

I wouldn't either, in that case. Damage to the fridge would be long term rather than immediate, but RV fridge's are too expensive to take risks.

The side-to-side level (3 degrees) is the easiest one to deal with. That's the fore & aft direction on the trailer, so you can usually raise the tongue jack enough to get that fairly close.

If mine isn't leveled, it will work, but not well.  My parking spot at the house isn't level front to back, nor is the vehicle level when traveling. I don't leave it unleveled and in use for long periods of time to avoid possible problems.

That 6? front to back level tolerence for a fridge translates to 10 inches side-to-side level of a 8-foot wide trailer.  In other words, if you can level your trailer to within 10 inches side to side, you are in the ballpark for your fridge to operate.  As Gary said, you hitch jack can easily handle the 3? fore and aft limit (12.6 inches in 20 feet).

Traveling is a non-issue as far as leveling is concerned. The "sloshing" that occurs as you move down the highway is plenty to keep the fluids circulating as required for cooling. Stopping for an hour or so with the trailer off-level is another story.

Carl L said:
That 6? front to back level tolerence for a fridge translates to 10 inches side-to-side level of a 8-foot wide trailer.  In other words, if you can level your trailer to within 10 inches side to side, you are in the ballpark for your fridge to operate.  As Gary said, you hitch jack can easily handle the 3? fore and aft limit (12.6 inches in 20 feet).

What did you do, Carl -- drag out those old trig tables??  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
I still have (and use) my "CRC Standard Mathematical Tables" book, 21st edition, circa 1972...

bigbit said:
I still have (and use) my "CRC Standard Mathematical Tables" book, 21st edition, circa 1972...

Wow!!  :)

I used my Hudson's, The Engineers Manual, by Wiley & Sons to check Carl's numbers. Original copyright was in 1917. Mine was the fifteen printing published in 1955. I paid $3.00 for it used in the bookstore just off the UofKy campus in '57. It's the only college book that I've hung onto all these years.

Bob Buchanan said:

Well, I could say that I whipped out my old K+E Duplex Trig slide rule.  But what I did do was use the scientific calculator that was in the software of my MS wireless KB.

Back
Top Bottom