Relays, Shore/Invert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Zeiter

Starting in January, when driving with the generator on, I would suddenly lose a/c power. After about a minute or two, the power would be restored. It happened about once per day. Lately, it has started happening both on generator and shorepower. An RV person at the Berrian Springs Rally suggested the transfer relays should be replaced. He indicated that changing only the relays was about 40-50% of the cost of replacing the whole transfer box. When I opened the box to get relay numbers, I noticed that there was also a circuit board there. Since the problem happens with both the shore & gen relays, I'm thinking that the board may be the culprit. The fact that power returns without any bouncing or actions taken by myself, I'm thinking a component on the board is overheating or weak. Does anyone have any ideas or experienced a similar situation? I should also mention that when the I lost power the inverter did not kick in. Turning off the 50 amp breaker allowed the inverter to provide inverted current.
Dick Zeiter
Toledo
Dutchstar

Hi Dick,

I'm no expert on this subject but do know the transfer switch will favor generator power over shore power. You may be correct in that the board might be the culprit in this instance. I really doubt the relays themselves would be a problem. If you have the schematics for the transfer switch you could see if there is a common path for shore and generator power that might cause this problem.

Dick, I suggest you post your message over on Newmarowners Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newmarowners/

Transfer switch issues have been discussed there frequently and you might search the message base also, as the search function on these yahoo groups has recently been improved.

Also, there are schematics for your rig in the libary there and some people who are very expert, including  a couple of dealer service techs.

Bob

I would suggest you monitor power at some non-inverting outlets... A simple night light should do

If the bulb goes dark when the AC goes out.... Suspect those relays or the control board

If the bulb stays lit... Not the problem

Back
Top Bottom