Release of cellphone numbers to telemarketers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I just received this email.  I thought this wasn't going to happen.

>>JUST A REMINDER...as of Sept 1, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.  YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS...To prevent this, call the following number from your CELL PHONE: 888/382-1222. or on the web

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx 

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.<<

Pat,

About two weeks ago I added our cell phone numbers to the do not call list. Easy via computer. They send an email to which you must respond. Once you respond the number is on the list.

That's a hoax.  Check on Snopes.  It always has been and continues to be illegal to make telemarketing calls to cell phones.  It doesn't do any harm to place your cell phone number on the DNC list, however.

That's a hoax, as Ned says. What IS happening is that a national directory of cell phone numbers is being released (on CD) and that makes cell phone numbers far more accessible to people with  commercial - or nefarious - purposes.  However, it remains illegal to make telemarketing calls to cell phones, directory or no.

For cell phones you want to look up "47 USC Sec. 227"  (my version is from 1996) on the web.  Google or Thomas should be able to find it

It details the restrictions on phone use and the penality for violating

Should you get a call on your cell phone hawking the lastest in aluminum siding or swimming pools for your non-existant back yard.

Get the guy's name and address and send him a bill $500.00 per call

I usually enclose a courtisy copy of the above described document,  Properly highlighted of course

I figured you guys would know the whole story.  I believe CNN.com ran an article recently about the difficulty of collecting reimbursemet from telemarketers. 

I know people who don't give their cellphone numbers to friends and acquaintances in order to avoid unwanted incoming charges. 

--pat

Back
Top Bottom