remotely turn pedestal on/off with relay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpowers

Hi There!

I have an RV pad on my property that's a bit away from my house (I have 10 acres). I occasionally have friends who stop by and hook up for a few days at a time.

I would like to be able to remotely control the power to the RV pad so I can keep it turned off but turn it on when a friend needs it (including times when I may not be home - I travel).

I have a bit of experience using a Raspberry Pi (RPi) to control electrical devices (I have a couple different units that control exhaust fans in pump buildings based on temperature). On these setups I use solid state relays (SSRs) that are triggered by the RPi and I have remote access to the RPis as well.

Will this same setup work for a 50 amp RV hook-up? I'm assuming I would need two solid state relays (one for each hot). For safety, I'd probably choose 60 amp or preferably 80 amp relays (see Amazon for a selection of these).  I have read that solid state relays don't do great with inductive loads and if SSRs are going to be used they need to be greatly oversized to handle the surge loads. I'm just not sure if an SSR can handle the type of load an RV will demand.

I'd prefer using SSRs since I'm familiar with using them but if SSRs won't work, what would be a good substitute relay?

Thanks!

Cannot you use an SSR to operate the coil on an honest to goodness three pole contactor? You could then make and break both hots and the neutral.

I'm not a electrician but wouldn't it be allot easier just to shut off the main breaker at your entrance panel.

Rene T said:
I'm not a electrician but wouldn't it be allot easier just to shut off the main breaker at your entrance panel.

Where's the fun in that? ;D

You need to do your research on power contactors, perhaps a latching variety would work best here in case of power outage  / brown out so it would stay in the last state it was set to. See https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=m4xkV5Zm1y4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom