Removing hard water deposits on outside painted side walls with gel coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

My motorhome has a "gravity" fill water intake for the tanks.  Because this always creates a mess and the water does not fill without a lot of splashing and running back out, I have hard water deposits on the outside of my motorhome.  I have a 2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger with the optional paint and gel coat. 

I have been afraid to use anything on this because I don't want to damage the gel coat or the paint.  Can I use white vinegar if I rinse it off right away?

I asked the service technician at Fleetwood and he thought it would be OK but I might have to use paste wax afterwards.  I thought this response was pretty iffy.  Has anyone with the optional paint tried this or something else?

Also, I recently decided to remove the stickers on the fold-up stove top with a sticker remover product and ended up messing everything up.  I may try to sand it down and spray paint it or cover it with something attractive and practical.  Any suggestions on how to remove these stickers safely the next time????

JudyJB said:
My motorhome has a "gravity" fill water intake for the tanks.  Because this always creates a mess and the water does not fill without a lot of splashing and running back out, I have hard water deposits on the outside of my motorhome.  I have a 2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger with the optional paint and gel coat. 

I have been afraid to use anything on this because I don't want to damage the gel coat or the paint.  Can I use white vinegar if I rinse it off right away?

I asked the service technician at Fleetwood and he thought it would be OK but I might have to use paste wax afterwards.  I thought this response was pretty iffy.  Has anyone with the optional paint tried this or something else?

Also, I recently decided to remove the stickers on the fold-up stove top with a sticker remover product and ended up messing everything up.  I may try to sand it down and spray paint it or cover it with something attractive and practical.  Any suggestions on how to remove these stickers safely the next time????
I have subterranean parking in my apt building parking garage. When it rains, water drips through the cracks in the concrete in a few of the parking stalls. A few years ago, one of my tenants presented me with an estimate from the Mercedes dealer for $8K to repaint his 1-year-old car. I went out and looked at the car and it had hard-water spots all over it. I explained to him that the last thing that he wants to do is have a repaint on his new car. He said that he took it to a detailer and they charged him $100 to try to remove the spots and was told that the car must be repainted.

I asked him if he wouldn't mind if I tried using "Lime-Away" before we went to the expense of ruining his new car.
http://www.amazon.com/Lime-A-Way-Water-Stain-Remover-Toggle/dp/B0063KBGZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368727233&sr=8-2&keywords=limeaway

I put the Lime-Away on the spots full strength. After a few seconds, the spots foamed up. I then rinsed it and the spots disappeared totally. No rubbing... nothing... just let it set for a minute or 2 and the spots are "Gone". Rinse it off..... and you're good.

If you're concerned about it damaging your finish, try it in a small spot 1st. I'm thinking that your coach is probably clear coated and I doubt this stuff will hurt you clear-coat. I've used is succesfully on several cars since. One of them was a new Corvette (also F/G). No issues.

The stove-top may have an enamel or maybe even a porcelain coating (probably enamel if the decal remover damaged it). I would think that a "heat-gun" or possible even a hair-drier would remove those decals.

The water spots are calcium carbonate and can be easily removed with any acid.  Weak acids like vinegar will work, strong acids like phosphoric acid (lime-away) work more quickly.

Paint and clearcoat, if in good condition, aren't damaged by most acids.  There is a risk of corrosion at fasteners and edges of the acid gets underneath the trim or a seam.

Jammer said:
Paint and clearcoat, if in good condition, aren't damaged by most acids.  There is a risk of corrosion at fasteners and edges of the acid gets underneath the trim or a seam.
If this appears to be a risk, follow up with baking soda to neutralize the acid. The nice thing about the Lime-Away is that it is thick and easy to localize.

The Las Vegas public water district told me to put a little vinegar in water and rub them away and it worked for me.

JerryF

JudyJB said:
My motorhome has a "gravity" fill water intake for the tanks.  Because this always creates a mess and the water does not fill without a lot of splashing and running back out, I have hard water deposits on the outside of my motorhome.
  I as well had water fill probs in my 07 GS. It never ceases to amaze me how they design and put these together. I located my water intake hose behind the drawers in the bedroom, and found that the hose was bent at a 90 degree angle where they put the bracket. Unbolted the bracket and relaxed the angle of the hose and no more back slpash!!! And my tank fills in half the time an I dont have to hold the hose the whole time. SCORE!
good luck

When I had some jet skis several years ago, I used a product called Ducky. It was sold for removing and slowing down the water spots from returning. It worked very well, but wasn't cheap. I also used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. It worked almost as good for removing but I noticed it did help to keep them away. After you get them off wax the area with a good paste wax.

I have a 1 quart spray bottle that I use mostly 50:50 white vinegar and distilled water.  I may vary to 60:40 either way depending on strength desired.

Tom said:
Hi Terry,

Haven't used wonderfoam. Is this the same stuff?

Yes Tom, that is it.

I just wet the area first, then spray in on and then it will foam up, I do use a wet towel and rub the area then then spray off. I don't even wash the boat first, I do that after removing the spots.

I will say on the back of the boat I did have to do it twice the first time.

Our local marine dealer carries it plus the restore polish that is a good product too!

Good Day!

Thanks Terry. I learn something new here every day.

It's phosphoric acid..... Just like Lime-Away...... just a different way to package & market it.

Back
Top Bottom