Rent a room or downgrade to an Econoline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley90

So after months of living in my 27ft Class C solar RV while remotely attending community college, I am honorly admitted to transfer to UCI by 2022 Fall, where the most unfriendly place for RVs. Not only banning RV street parking but also don't have long-term RV parks. I am wondering if I should just rent a bedroom for $700 or buy an old creepy low-roof Econoline for stealth camping? I can port my inverter, charger, and battery from my RV and charge it from an EV port. But I am concerned I can get used to living in such a small space. After many bad decisions, getting ripped off on my RV (I paid about $37k to build my RV!) I am worried I am making another mistake...and I have limited cash now. How do you feel about living in a low-roof van? For my RV, I found the only problem from people: Someone honking on the side of the road at night wakes you up and makes it almost impossible to have a nice sleep, and it is too easy to get harassed by police. I also have a light sleep due to safety concerns and psychological stress feeling away from home. But I had zero problems with living in an RV. And now there seems to be no way to sell my RV without a significant discount.

On the other hand, if I don't buy a van, I still need to buy a car to commute. I feel it doesn't make much sense to buy a vehicle to commute and pay for rent while you can sleep right next to your school in a van.

My first thought is that a van will have no toilet or shower. Renting a room probably will. Based solely on what you have described, I would rent the room and buy a bike. Let someone else worry about maintenance, etc. Then you can focus on studies.

It's been years, but I lived in middle America college town without a car for 4 years. Rode a bike most of the time, had friends drive me if I absolutely needed to go somewhere beyond biking ability (I wish that they had Lyft back then). Worked 4 part time jobs at the same time just to pay bills and go to school. Well worth it.

If it were me, I would take the hit on selling the RV and use it as a life lesson.

I lived in a van for a few years. It is not easy but it is cheap. There are millions of places you can boondock or park stealthy for free. It just takes some research to find them. A good place to start is:

Choosing to live "on the street" isn't always a choice, but in your situation, it sounds like it is. The struggles with the lifestyle and equipment you've posted about haven't really surprised me--those things are an account of reality. You'll run afoul of the law and encounter some really sketchy and angry people who will want to mess with you, or your stuff. Not worth it, IMO. Put your money/effort into finishing out school if you think it's worth it, and then go make money with your degree. Rent a room, buy cheap transportation for commuting -- or better yet, live on/close to campus. Come back to a nomadic lifestyle when you get your finances on solid ground.

There are still plenty of $1,500-$2,500 cheap banged up commuter cars out there, get the apartment and buy one of them, it does not have to look great, it just has to reliably get you back and forth to school

There are still plenty of $1,500-$2,500 cheap banged up commuter cars out there, get the apartment and buy one of them, it does not have to look great, it just has to reliably get you back and forth to school
I looked at a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage for around $6k to $7k for 40MPG.

Prius is better, but you can't get one under $10k unless it is older than 2010.

What model do you suggest for that price? Maybe a Corolla from the 90s? I thought I would fix the engine/transmission soon after purchase for that price...

Choosing to live "on the street" isn't always a choice, but in your situation, it sounds like it is. The struggles with the lifestyle and equipment you've posted about haven't really surprised me--those things are an account of reality. You'll run afoul of the law and encounter some really sketchy and angry people who will want to mess with you, or your stuff. Not worth it, IMO. Put your money/effort into finishing out school if you think it's worth it, and then go make money with your degree. Rent a room, buy cheap transportation for commuting -- or better yet, live on/close to campus. Come back to a nomadic lifestyle when you get your finances on solid ground.
Based on my research, there is very little room offered within walking/bike distance of UCI, and they cost from $1250 to $1400 per month.
Rowland Heights has multiple rooms renting out for $600 to $650, but according to Google Maps, I must go before 5 AM to avoid traffic, and it still takes at least 30 minutes to get to school.

I also found that Rowland Heights is an unincorporated area in LA county, and LA county doesn't have a law banning RV Parking/Living because unconstitutional.

LA pushed an alternative code to ban RV parking in some unincorporated areas, but Rowland Heights isn't one of them.

"Everything which is not forbidden is allowed"... I am thinking about if I should go and try it out during summer break.

If I understand correctly, unincorporated area means only law from the county, state, or federal, right?

Its hard to understand why you are on a RV,, ( RECREATIONAL VEHICLE) forum.. Nothing recreation about your pursuit,, not much more than a tan can laying in the street as a hazard to the public..
It's time to "man up" and take a more traditional path to your education..>>>Dan

Its hard to understand why you are on a RV,, ( RECREATIONAL VEHICLE) forum.. Nothing recreation about your pursuit,, not much more than a tan can laying in the street as a hazard to the public..
It's time to "man up" and take a more traditional path to your education..>>>Dan
There have been several folks here that use their RV strictly for work. No recreation. There are folks here that have their RV’s permanently parked and live in them full time. No recreation.

First here is UCI (Googling I find a school in Farmington Hills MI but somehow I don't think that's it
Second do you have an alternate vehicle to run to/from school with
Finally is there a Campground (long term resident type) or other facility where you can rent/lease a proper and legal parking spot for a period of years?

UCI is University of California, Irvine. Riley90 stated there where no long term RV parks. Plus money is a concern.

I bought a one owner 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback gets about 39 mpg with a bit over 200,000 miles on already setup for flat towing to drag around behind our motorhome last summer for $2,500, clean but some wear inside, a number of small dings outside, I found it listed on Facebook marketplace about 50 miles away, and did not even jump on it right away as I was very busy that week, and finally went to look at it 10 days after it was listed for sale (I think asking was $2,900). I have since put about $500 into it to fix it up a little, new tail lights to replaced the cracked ones, new LED headlights, in the last month I have put 2 new spring/strut assemblies on the front end, new cheap stereo, and sway bar end links. So my total investment is now at about $3,000, but I have also put about 10,000 miles on it in the last year, 14,000 if you count the TOAD miles.

A few months before I bought the Yaris, my son sold a 2008 Nissan Sentra base model with about 180,000 miles which he had owned since 2011 for $2,200, again overall good commuter car, though I think the Yaris is more comfortable ride / seating, also gets around 40 mpg, my son was driving the car 110 miles per day commuting 5 days per week until he sold it after buying a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen diesel that gets about 50 mpg (CPO VW diesegate buyback car). The Nissan Sentra took 2-3 weeks to sell at that price, and there were probably 8-10 people who looked at it.

Since this RV does not save money... I do find its recreation in an odd way. It's not just nighttime honks or police knocks. I also found some pleasure in small moments:

1. Discovered that by sitting in Walmart hours before I leave, I can always get stuff I forgot instead of chagrined at home.
2. Found that I can print anything anytime. No more anxiety about forgetting to bring something before I go to the postal office to file some documents.
3. Never ever had diarrhea and can't find a restroom.
4. Parking in the wilderness but still have access to 4G to write a college essay, and felt that "the best story starts at the end of the map."
5. Sense of accomplishment and joy when I designed and implemented the solar RV system. Amazed when the mini-split runs 24/7 under 95F weather.. this is a dream come true...
6. Thinking about RV and Capitalism, the future of the human(how real estate exploits people, some landlords can collect rent forever, and so on). How technological advances can put an end to exploitation. Imagine cheap and large batteries, high-efficiency solar panels, and starch that can be synthesized from carbon dioxide in the air. I might be able to write a sci-fi novel about it someday.
7. Thinking about the design of the future RV, burning off garbage and feces by electricity, purifying emissions with platinum catalysis, etc.
8. It has its own bathroom, toilet, and kitchen, it's somewhat superior to a rented bedroom given I have a good parking place.
9. It is fun just to watch everything work!

On the other hand, I know my RV failed to save money and distracted me from studying. But I can't help it

First here is UCI (Googling I find a school in Farmington Hills MI but somehow I don't think that's it
Second do you have an alternate vehicle to run to/from school with
Finally is there a Campground (long term resident type) or other facility where you can rent/lease a proper and legal parking spot for a period of years?
It is the University of California, Irvine

I sold my car to support the project on the RV. I currently don't have a car.

There are no RV parks within 40 miles of campus that accept long-term RV parking. I still have two months and actively seeking to rent a space in the backyard from a homeowner. Based on the google satellite map, I found multiple qualified houses around Corona Riverside have this space, and some already stored their RV in the sideyard. Its just matter if they are willing to rent.

I bought a one owner 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback gets about 39 mpg with a bit over 200,000 miles on already setup for flat towing to drag around behind our motorhome last summer for $2,500, clean but some wear inside, a number of small dings outside, I found it listed on Facebook marketplace about 50 miles away, and did not even jump on it right away as I was very busy that week, and finally went to look at it 10 days after it was listed for sale (I think asking was $2,900). I have since put about $500 into it to fix it up a little, new tail lights to replaced the cracked ones, new LED headlights, in the last month I have put 2 new spring/strut assemblies on the front end, new cheap stereo, and sway bar end links. So my total investment is now at about $3,000, but I have also put about 10,000 miles on it in the last year, 14,000 if you count the TOAD miles.

A few months before I bought the Yaris, my son sold a 2008 Nissan Sentra base model with about 180,000 miles which he had owned since 2011 for $2,200, again overall good commuter car, though I think the Yaris is more comfortable ride / seating, also gets around 40 mpg, my son was driving the car 110 miles per day commuting 5 days per week until he sold it after buying a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen diesel that gets about 50 mpg (CPO VW diesegate buyback car). The Nissan Sentra took 2-3 weeks to sell at that price, and there were probably 8-10 people who looked at it.
These are great examples. Thank you. Did you hire a mechanic to inspect the car or just count on luck?

I mostly counted on luck, and gave it a once over myself, along with about a 5 mile test drive, though at the price I was not too concerned. Also it helped that the woman I bought it from had almost all the receipts going back to 2006 when she bought it new, and always had it serviced at the local Toyota dealership. The Yaris had made it through 3 motorhomes while she owned it, and she was selling because she had downsized to a 23-24 ft class C and did not need a TOAD any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom