Repair of class A question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

We have oil running down the back tire on our new winnebago class A.  We think maybe it is a rearaxle seal leak?  Is this something the rv place fixes or will a ford place have to repair it?

To expand upon the previous responses, I think it's worth noting that many (most?) RV dealers are poorly equipped to repair anything relating to the engine, transmission and chassis.  One well-respected dealership told me quite honestly that they no longer employ ASME-certified technicians capable of dealing with these sorts of things.  Because most new RVs are towables, not motorized, they find it sufficient to only hire RVIA-certified technicians.  This is not to say that there's anything wrong with an RVIA-certified tech, but they aren't trained to handle automotive issues.

Ford or a good independent truck shop if not under warranty. It will take more than an hour though IF the axle is checked for wear. I had to replace an axle once when I had a leak because the wear on the axle was to great to allow the seal to do it's job. I would say 2 hours labor to do it all correctly.
DO NOT GO NEAR AN RV dealer with your problem

darsben said:
DO NOT GO NEAR AN RV dealer with your problem

That is one of the things I like about my RV fix it shop (American RV Burton MI)
THey are SERIOUS mechanics of the maintain the district school bus fleet type among other truck type vehicles.. One of the very few RV places I'd trust with chassis work.

The dealer I bought from.. They do NO chassis work. Need an oil change. Oh they will write it up. but they farm it out.

Dont be surprised if they want to replace the brake shoes also, if they are saturated with oil no good mechanic would reinstall due to the risk. Even though they can be cleaned and even boiled to work like new ther is the risk involved for them.

I would lean towards using an independent medium duty truck shop for this sort of job, there should be no dealer only, brand specific issues in this job.

John From Detroit said:
That is one of the things I like about my RV fix it shop (American RV Burton MI)
THey are SERIOUS mechanics of the maintain the district school bus fleet type among other truck type vehicles.. One of the very few RV places I'd trust with chassis work.

The dealer I bought from.. They do NO chassis work. Need an oil change. Oh they will write it up. but they farm it out.

Why haven't you posted a review of them at rvservicereviews.com?

Called the rv dealer and they are sending us to ford dealer to repair.  We have only had this rv three months.  How does a brand new rv have worn out axle?  Hopefully they will get it fixed right and yes it is under warranty.

Peggyy said:
Called the rv dealer and they are sending us to ford dealer to repair.  We have only had this rv three months.  How does a brand new rv have worn out axle?  Hopefully they will get it fixed right and yes it is under warranty.

I doubt the axle is worn out on that new a unit. 
The outer seal is either a paper gasket or just silicone sealer.  If that one's leaking, it's just an easy fix, unbolt the axle, pull it out, clean and replace the seal, put the axle back in and top off the fluid.

If the inner seal(which is a "real" seal, not just a gasket)is bad, it's just a bit more work(having to remove the wheels and the hub assembly)and may involve oil soaked brake shoes as another poster mentioned.

Sometimes when the gasket gets put on if there is a wrinkle or it just didn't seal right then it will leak.  You may want to have someone check the oil level before driving it too far.  I bet that baby heats up if it without oil!!

KandT said:
Sometimes when the gasket gets put on if there is a wrinkle or it just didn't seal right then it will leak.  You may want to have someone check the oil level before driving it too far.  I bet that baby heats up if it without oil!!

Its in the shop now to get fixed.  Good idea about checking the oil! Thx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Floss71
Back
Top Bottom