Replacement for Lance Camper Generac Propane Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LGF`

I am the second owner of a 2004 Lance 1130. The Generac propane generator failed after 150 hours (probably a starter problem) and I have spent the last year trying to find someone to repair it. I have lost track of the number of shops I have called but none will touch it and Generac does not respond. I am told by several shops that this model was so unreliable that Generac stopped making and supporting it. My question (which Lance could not answer): is there another propane generator that can be substituted for the Generac without extensive modification to either the camper or generator mounts?

Thanks.

Almost all truck campers use the Cummins/ONAN 2500LP. The newest one is the 2500LPi which is an inverter model with much more versatile exhaust system routing options. But they are not cheap. The slightly older 2500LP like I have can be found used as a good number of people with camper vans or truck campers, (that had them factory installed) have removed them when doing massive solar/lithium conversions.

Note that the model 2800 is the gasoline powered version of the older NON-inverter generator and the 2800i is the newest inverter model, gasoline powered.

RV Generators | Cummins Inc.

Norwall Power Systems - Onan 2500 LP Generator for RVs | 2.5HGLAA-8304A

For planning purposes, when facing the "front" side of the generator, with the data plate, removable access panel, and cooling slots, the OLDER design will have the exhaust exit out the bottom on your right, and toward the back of the unit. The newer inverter model will have the exhaust either out the bottom or out the side (via a rotating elbow inside) on the left toward the front. Truck camper installations I have seen all go out the bottom, as the generator is mounted in a compartment at the very aft of the camper where the bottom is exposed.

Here are dimensions, gleaned from ONAN installation drawings for you to determine if an installation is possible.

Newer inverter model

Weight 113 lbs

Length 22.0 in or 560 mm

Width 16.3 or 415 mm

Height 13.4 or 340 mm

Exhaust may exit the bottom or side due to internal design, on a under trailer mount this allows the exhaust to exit straight out the side, and not compromising ground clearance.

Earlier non-inverter model

Weight ???

Length 24.0 in or 609.5mm

Width 16.44 in or 417 mm

Height 12.25 in or 310 mm

Exhaust must protrude out the bottom and adds at least 4 inches below the unit

Thus, the new inverter unit is……….

2.0 inches shorter in length (or 50 mm)

0.13 inch narrower in width (or 2 mm)

1.15 inches taller in height (or 30mm)

Video of the inside of the new generator

Onan promo video of the new model generator

Hope this helps you in some way.
Charles

I am the second owner of a 2004 Lance 1130. The Generac propane generator failed after 150 hours (probably a starter problem) and I have spent the last year trying to find someone to repair it. I have lost track of the number of shops I have called but none will touch it and Generac does not respond. I am told by several shops that this model was so unreliable that Generac stopped making and supporting it. My question (which Lance could not answer): is there another propane generator that can be substituted for the Generac without extensive modification to either the camper or generator mounts?

Thanks.
Going back through your posts, I thought you had someone last July who would work in it. What happened?

A couple of useful bits of info for an Onan installation, this is the 2800 manual for the model KV spec A-M. (Older, non-inverter units) While this is the gasoline model, the propane model is the same except for fuel system differences. Scroll thru the manual and you will find layout drawings of the openings needed in the mounting surface in a compartment (bolt holes, exhaust, etc), three view dimensional drawings, etc.
https://www.cummins.com/sites/default/files/rv-manuals/0981-0604.pdf

This manual is for the 2800/2500LP KVD which is extremely similar to the above, but has much better illustrations of possible installations in truck campers, trailers and vans, including suggested exhaust system installations.
https://www.cummins.com/sites/default/files/rv-manuals/0981-0631.pdf

This is the Onan accessories catalog with various exhaust parts, and other useful bits and pieces. Note that the larger 3600/4000 units have the same size exhaust and so you would want to peruse the entire catalog as to not miss anything useful in an installation.
https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrary/data/assetfiles/0058349.pdf

This is the current Onan RV Generator Handbook which includes operating instructions and other information.
https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrary/data/assetfiles/0056746.pdf

Here is the INVERTER model 2800i installation manual. It is inaccessible on the Onan site so it comes from a distributor web site. You will want to skip the first 40 pages or so unless you are OCD about safety practices. Again, the installation of the LP model is essentially the same.
https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/1843_Onan_RV_QG_2800i_HGLAA_Installation.pdf

Lastly, this is the operators manual for the 2800i INVERTER model, again, skip the first 28 pages unless you like to read about every safety practice know to man.
https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/2756_Onan_RV_QG_2800i_HGLAA_Owner_Manual.pdf

Charles

There is a Youtube channel called Delta Bravo who has an Artic Fox truck camper (and a Nash travel trailer) both of which he has installed the new Onan 2500i inverter model generator in. He has a number of videos on the generator from receiving it on a pallet to doing sound tests after it is installed. You might go to the link above and check out some of the videos for ideas.

He also has videos on installing an inverter, a B-2-B power unit, and lithium batteries, plus the wire crimping involved in the cables, etc. None of it is super detailed but it is informative.

I actually subscribed to this channel a year or more ago, and forgot about it, until recently when "the algorithm" pushed a video out to me,

Charles

Back
Top Bottom