Replacement of Engine Air Filter on a 2005 36G Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grooving grandpa

FARR 114880-3 side mount
I have it changed every 3years. I was told this time by the RV service company that they have to remove the exhaust tail pipe to remove the filter. Cost me and arm and a leg. I have never been told that before. I can see that it would be difficult to remove, but I would think Winnobago design would not be that lame. Does the tail pipe have to be remove. Also, the tech installed the tail pipe exhaust shield backwards. Instead of having the clamp hold it down. He has tabs going over my Chrome exhaust tip. See picture
Thanks Lou

Attachments

• IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
Glad they didn't tell you they have to pull the engine to replace the air filter. The shield that was reinstalled wrong - seems to me the tech that reinstalled was different from the one that removed it <or> he has a very short memory <or> it was easier to install it wrong (my pick.)

Have you looked at the air filter housing? on my Cummins ISL the air filter was driver's side rear corner. It would be changed from below. I would make the shop explain why the tailpipe had to be removed and make them install the shield properly.

Seems anyone that doesn't have the aptitude to install an accessory like that also has limited skill and experience to determine how other tasks are completed as well. Reason number four why I do all my own work. It shortens the list of people I have to go through to get the job done right.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

That’s ridiculous.
I would not have left the shop with it like that. Is this the same shop you used in the past for your maintenance?
Ours is the same as John stated,tailpipe on the curbside and air cleaner on the drivers side of coach. Unless yours is different,they took you. Take it back as John said.
Scott,Orlando

Glad they didn't tell you they have to pull the engine to replace the air filter. The shield that was reinstalled wrong - seems to me the tech that reinstalled was different from the one that removed it <or> he has a very short memory <or> it was easier to install it wrong (my pick.)

Have you looked at the air filter housing? on my Cummins ISL the air filter was driver's side rear corner. It would be changed from below. I would make the shop explain why the tailpipe had to be removed and make them install the shield properly.
John, I have a Cummings 330. The filter is on drivers side rear of coach along with the tail pipe assembly. Yes, u do access it from below. The tail pipe assembly almost buts up to the shield. But again, no one every said they had to remove the tail pipe assembly to drop the filter out. I am going to ask the RV service shop to call Cummins and get instructions on removing it.
Thanks.

I am going to ask the RV service shop to call Cummins and get instructions on removing it.
Cummins can't help you - they don't provide anything except the engine itself. Winnebago uses a Freightliner custom chassis and Freightliner provides the air, cooling and fuel system to feed the engine. When the chassis was bare, access to the filter was simple, but once Winnebago adds the coach body there may not be much wiggle room left. You can call Freightliner Custom Chassis, but they won't be able to help much either because they won't know about the Winnebago body.
1-800-FTL-HELP

I've been changing the air filter on our 2004 36g winnebago for the last 20 years and have never had to take the exhaust pipe off to get it out or back in. Talk to the boss where you had yours changed and find out where they went wrong. You should receive a refund for poor workmanship.
Good Luck
Indiana Journey

I've been changing the air filter on our 2004 36g winnebago for the last 20 years and have never had to take the exhaust pipe off to get it out or back in. Talk to the boss where you had yours changed and find out where they went wrong. You should receive a refund for poor workmanship.
Good Luck
Indiana Journey

Good Luck
Indiana Journey
Hi Indiana Journey
I just realized I said my 36g Journey is a 2005, senior moment, it is in fact same year as yours a 2004. You are a journeyman at replacing the filter. In your early days how long did it take? I am guessing 1 hour to remove and one hour to replace.
Lou

It's not a Cummins, Lou's Journey has a Caterpillar C7.
Part of the basement air conditioning is in the way. I looked at the air filter from above and didn't see an easy way to get it out. It was hot and I didn't want to lay on the pavement.

Why replace the air filter every 3 years? The long-ago paper and water=based glue filter are long-gone unless they have a lot of NOS filters in the warehouse.
Today the recommendation is to replace the air filter only when the filter-minder reaches the red indicator.
Every time the air intake system is opened it creates the possibility of unfiltered air leaks. This is so critical, even the clamps should be replaced on the rubber boots in the exact same position according to some experts.

Lou,
It usually takes about 45 minutes to remove and about the same to replace.
Ours is a Cummins, but I think that Freightliner mounts the air filter the same on the Cat and the Cummins. As far as changing the filter every three years, I have been changing our filter every two years. Cheap insurance for a filter that might get wet and deteriorate to be sucked into the turbo. Most manufacturers now recommend two years. The filter-minders aren't as good as most people think. Put a vacuum gage on the line if you don't believe me, that's the only way to get a halfway good reading.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

It's not a Cummins, Lou's Journey has a Caterpillar C7.
Part of the basement air conditioning is in the way. I looked at the air filter from above and didn't see an easy way to get it out. It was hot and I didn't want to lay on the pavement.

Back
Top Bottom