replacing a microwave oven with a microwave/convection oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

My MH is a 2004 Fleetwood Tara with a 30 amp service.  I'm thinking about replacing the original microwave with a microwave/convection oven.  By doing this I would have the use of an oven without using propane.  I found one unit that would fit in the microwave oven space.  I was wondering if anyone has done this, and do you have any suggestions?

We didn't have to do that in a MH but have done it 2X in stick built ones and it is pretty straight forward.  If you are using one of the same brand you may not have to change the mounting plate.  This would make the job much easier.

If possible be sure to have the space vented as heat builds up in a non vented area and will keep your convection  oven from reaching the high temps you may require as my Sharp  convection/Microwave oven  shuts self down to avoid over heating.
You will have to manage power while oven is in use, ie no water heater, bulk charger, electric heaters etc.(Don't ask me how I know)

I had a conv/mw a;ready, the mw part died, and found an almost exact replacement.  Sharp Carousel, found thru Amazon.  I initally found a Contour and had to send 2 back.  Sharp works great.

I had a GE in my stick house, so I was glad that there was one in the coach. But If I had a choice I'd go with the Sharp. Because of the plate changing required in the GE. Metal plate for baking, glass for microwaving.

Just a note: reduce baking temp by 15 degrees, and check food 5 minutes for cooking time is up when using a convection oven.

To add to what Betty said.
A word of caution:
I have replaced two microwaves with convection types, one in my last motor home and one in my present unit.
I would highly recommend getting the "build-in kit" for whatever brand microwave/convection you get or buy one that is designed to be built in.
In convection mode, convection micros get much hotter than the standard ones. When it was first installed, the temp behind mine got up to 200 degrees F after 45 minutes in convection mode.
I did not get the build-in kit for my first installation and went through a lot of hassle getting the temp behind the unit down to a reasonable level. I ended up adding a grill above the microwave and an exhaust fan blowing air through the side of the motor home. This involved a lot of work and cutting through the side of the motor home.

The second time I got the kit and the job was much easier. There was additional sheet metal in the kit that formed ducts to move air in from the front and back out the front. It also came with decorative grills that make the installation look like it came from the factory with the unit already in place.

Note that there are some minimum clearances in back and on the sides that must be met. You should make sure the convection micro you buy is small enough to allow for the proper clearances.

The one I installed in my present motor home is a Sharp Carousel Grill 2 Convection R-820-BK (the BK stands for black, I think WT will denote a white one).
The dimensions are 20 1/2(w) X 12 1/8(h) X 19 3/4(d).

It was a little too deep but we (DW really) got a little creative and figured out how to trim the sheet metal on the build-in ducts so they fit behind the supplied grills. Also had to move a junction box on the back wall behind the microwave a few inches over.
It looks like a factory installation.

Unfortunately it appears that the build in kit for this model is no longer available. A Google search shows the kit but it is either out of stock  or discontinued on the sites I looked at.

Clay L said:
I would highly recommend getting the "build-in kit" for whatever brand microwave/convection you get or buy one that is designed to be built in.
In convection mode, convection micros get much hotter than the standard ones. When it was first installed, the temp behind mine got up to 200 degrees F after 45 minutes in convection mode.
I did not get the build-in kit for my first installation and went through a lot of hassle getting the temp behind the unit down to a reasonable level. I ended up adding a grill above the microwave and an exhaust fan blowing air through the side of the motor home. This involved a lot of work and cutting through the side of the motor home.

The second time I got the kit and the job was much easier. There was additional sheet metal in the kit that formed ducts to move air in from the front and back out the front. It also came with decorative grills that make the installation look like it came from the factory with the unit already in place.

There's no need to get a build-n kit for your oven if you buy a standard over-the-range (OTR) oven.  This does require that you have room for a 30" appliance but many RVs do.

Back
Top Bottom