Replacing the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeeto

roof.jpg

With a new roof, what is the best way to deal with the gap on a fiberglass end cap?
I need an adhesive sealant that can also give some rigidity to support the cap trim and stick to a plasticized roof membrane.
You can see the depression of the screw hole from a prior install.

The edge of the fiberglass does align with a truss so that is a good thing. I will make sure not to over-tighten.

I am considering something like 3M's 4000 sealant for plastic. Is there a better product for this application?
Thank you.

How close in height will the adjoining surfaces be once you lay on the new roof? Typically the roof membrane (EPDM or TPO) or filon (fiberglass) will extend a bit under the cap. They you use a sealant with a high stretch factor because in near all RVs that joint is subject to a lot of movement stress. Some owners cover the seam with roof tape (e.g. Eternabond) after sealing, for some extra protection. Most RV-use sealants offer a lot of stretch along with a excellent adhesion.

How close in height ..
Up to 3/16" in places with roof membrane tucked under.
I have managed to clean out about 1.5" under the fiberglass.
I was hoping for a sealant that has some rigidity too so that the screws can be tight without flexing the fiberglass.

Just remember that the cap seam is gonna move no matter what. The RV body will twist & flex enough to guarantee that, so use sealants that can accommodate it.

How do you feel about Sikaflex 291 and would you do the extra cleaner, activator, and primer or will a good scuff do?

Back
Top Bottom