Replacing window shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearcatrp

Got to my campground last Friday and saw my large rear window shade was completely extended. Took apart and found a clear wheel plastic piece inside the rod broke. Just checked with CW and said can only replace entire curtains. $125 for replacement. Anyone know of a 3rd party that sells these shades? Mine is vinyl and completely blackens out see through. Considering just buying a standard one for a heck of allot less. Thanks

Find out the manufacturer and ask them for the part. We had a shade break its retraction piece. Tiffin would only sell the complete two component shade (solar and night shade) for $350 or so. The manufacturer sent us the piece for free.

Your Tiffin shades are probably better than my original Fleetwood shades, but the best thing I ever did was replace mine with dual MCD shades about 8 years ago. They are custom made and cost about $300 per window way back then, but they are still in perfect condition and I have never had any problems with them at all.

I had MCD shades in my last trailer. I prefer the dual shades I have now. The solar shade is one of those perforated ones that still lets me see outside but keeps the glare out along with much of the heat, and the night shade is solid vinyl and completely darkens the space.

Find out the manufacturer and ask them for the part. We had a shade break its retraction piece. Tiffin would only sell the complete two component shade (solar and night shade) for $350 or so. The manufacturer sent us the piece for free.
Will see if CW will tell me the manufacturer. She told me they order from keystone, not the manufacturer. Could be BSing me. Thanks for the tip.

I had MCD shades in my last trailer. I prefer the dual shades I have now. The solar shade is one of those perforated ones that still lets me see outside but keeps the glare out along with much of the heat, and the night shade is solid vinyl and completely darkens the space.
MCD shades sound like a good option

I bet the selling dealer, CW in this case, really doesn’t know. My Tiffin dealer wouldn’t have known, so this isn’t a deal where CW is BSing (like they do most of the time). Contact the manufacturer.

In my Keystone just before selling, I noticed the bedroom shade was hanging down. The tension string had come undone from the button behind the valance, check that first.

Your description, Pam, is exactly the same as the MCD shades that were included on my Ventana (and some other coaches I've looked at in showrooms), so I suspect you have the MCD dual shades. They were great on my Ventana.

Found out from CW the manufacturer for our shades. Irvin shade and door out of Indiana. Sent them a email to see if I can buy direct. Waiting on a response. What is MCD? Have a link to there website? No tension string on my shades.

RV Roller Shades | MCD Innovations

One thing is that MCD lets you pick your color. My room darkening shades are a beige that match my walls, but my mesh sunlight shades are black because they are easier to see through while still blocking the sun and preventing people from seeing through from the outside.

Of all the things in my motorhome, my MCD shades are still in perfect condition after 8 years of full-time use. Can't think of much else that is not worn or has been repaired over time. Best upgrade money I ever spent.

Just a tip. When they were measuring my shades for the MCD version at the back of my motorhome, they discovered that the valence was held on by one screw in each of the two L-brackets holding it on. I added another L-bracket and put two screws in each to hold it on the wall.

Larry, you are right based on Judy’s description. I thought MCD shades were the honey comb ones - ugh. And Irving Shades is where we got our small part. Hope the OP has the same good response we did from them.

Well, got the big weeny shoved up my 4th point of contact today. Got the call today that my shade was in. BUT, since it was considered oversized due to its length, have to pay for shipping, $60 friggin bucks. WTF! Been planning on trading in the POS Keystone turd in a few more years so I’ll get a better trade in vs what I owe. Now I’m considering trading earlier to get away from keystone. Am sure some of you have seen me post about stay away from keystone. Going to get louder about this worthless company.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom