Restaurant Calories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Village Inn seems to be the worst of the chains. Even before we went through all of this Heart stuff, I had reached a point where I would refuse to go there. The place REEKS of Salt. All I could taste was the Salt.

We definitely prefer the local "Mom and Pop" Joints, but even they can over do the salt.
We never have taken Pizza and Buffets off our list. When we do got to a restaurant, we find two or three items that we can manage the salt with.

DearMissMermaid said:
I drink mountains of water and have no salt issues. :)

If everything is working correctly, your kidneys flush out all the excess minerals, as long as you stay hydrated.
Margo had a leaking valve, and it started causing issues. Things escalated, a visit to the ER in March resulted in her getting a blood infection that nearly killed her, and the bugs set up housekeeping in her leaky valve. Open Heart surgery was required. A few more complications a new valve, and a Pacemaker, and she is finally on her feet again.
Though, we are on Fluid restriction, Salt Restriction, Carb Restriction, and Calorie restriction. All well and good, though. We have proved that we can get by on a lot less of all that then we would have thought. The only problem is when family wants to go out to dinner.

I agree with everyone about the excess salt at restaurants, but what kills me is, when you see someone salt their food BEFORE even trying it.  What the heck  :-\

My wife will put salt on her salt and her heart and blood pressure are near perfect. I cut back on added salt and the more I cut back the less I wanted to add salt things, now I see how salty the restaurant foods have become. Have you noticed how salty cheese is, or seafood??

Sorry to tell you this...those lists are pure junk. As the owner of three of those restaurants, before we sold them and retired, I can assure you that everything depends on how the food is made. When we get our calorie rating, the ones you see in this list, we make the food to exact standards. But there is no way to replicate those standards in individual kitchens across the country. For instance, we owned Moe's Southwest Grill. This list says a quesadilla with chicken has 160 calories. The 10" tortilla has more calories than that alone. For instance, the 10" tortilla has 380 calories, the cheese has 120 and then it depends on how much water is in the chicken to say how many calories there are. But usually, a 4 ounce serving with normal water added would be 90 calories. A far cry from the 160 listed. How does the company get away with listing only 160...different specs when getting the original calorie count. Also, as many have mentioned, most restaurants add salt and MSG to their products. And not just some. There is far more salt in a single meal that you need in several days. That is why when you go out and eat at a restaurant, you almost always gain short term weight. Eat that stuff every day and you WILL gain weight. BTW...in most restaurants in the US, the chicken will have a "pump"(amount of water, salt and MSG) of around 30%. And here we thought we were actually paying for chicken, when we were really paying for chicken and 30% to 40% water. It's the water that makes restaurant chicken taste so good and juicy, and why you can't get the same effect at home. Also, the salt used in restaurants is not the table salt most people use at home. Restaurants use a highly refined salt that adds flavor and yes, causes a retention of water weight.

I still go out to eat at restaurants but seldom will we go to a fast food place. We choose local restaurants or large "big box" chains. Also, no I never order chicken at a restaurant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom