Restrictions on Outside Paint Job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1275gtsport said:
There are plenty of people out there that also feel the same. google sisters on the fly for some amazing rigs. true traveling bits of art. most of them are from the 50's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uuBVPdDpfiU/T0-5pKjrvtI/AAAAAAAAFuo/CnX1LGL525A/s1600/vintage+trailer+-+ME+sister.jpg

This one is like what dearmissmermaid was thinking of. again I may not paint mine like that but I would not mind parking next to it in a campground.
I'm pretty sure I saw the "Sisters of the Fly" rig shown in the link 2-3 years ago while we were camped at Victoria Springs State Park in Nebraska.  There was a group of the "Sisters" gathering there, most with some pretty unique small campers.

It is Bronco's colors, which may put some people off around my parts.

Why in the world would you conform to the "majority" and their idea of what your trailer should look like?

Course this is what mine looked like when I got it.

Attachments

• Trailerresize.jpg
    Trailerresize.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 116
carson said:
I love green.... smells like money.  ::)

Actually, I have no problem with green as a color.  My Jeep is green. It's just in this case I would have painted the lower portion of my RV a more neutral and darker color, or shade of green - as you would see on most new RV's. In this case, I would never paint the lower portion of my RV a bright lime green. That's the shade I would want my vest if directing traffic.

Here's about everything one might want to know about the shades of green:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_green

Kermit mentions here that it's not easy being green:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco

I had some drying issues with the paint last nite due to temperature so I could only get so far along. This sort of represents the color scheme, but the trees and other foliage I am adding barely show in the photos so it looks very unbalanced. I need to finish/lay in a couple more lines as well before I can finish off the trees. It also doesn't show that there is a nice play of flat, metallic and mica flake finishes - very pretty in person. Will post the finished product at the end of the week. It looks so boring now compared to the bright colors, but once the details are put on and it "pops" I will be very pleased. Second photo are the bottles I am making lights out of for the bathroom.

Attachments

• new art in progress.JPG
    new art in progress.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 131
  • rum.JPG
    rum.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 94
Looking good! Looking forward to further photos and hope to see it in person some day.

-Trevor & Roni

LIKE it, at first glance it appears as you said "boring" but studing the photo I can imagine the finished product with the trees and finishes you describe....Looks like it will turn out very nice...want to see the finished product.

I think that is going to be lovely, very classy.  I'm interested in how you use those bottles for lights.

Cheryl

I like it!  Subtle, classy and unique all in one.  Look forward to seeing the completed work of art.  :)

I don't think for one second that people should feel forced to conform on things like this. Self expression is beautiful. That said, your new paint job is gorgeous, and I like it much better than the bright colors. Good job! :)

I think that is going to be beautiful, very subtle, I wish I had your talent, durn.

I have heard and believe it that the campground at Lake Conroe will turn you away, but that area contains a lot of snobs, so makes sense.

Having said that my Eagle is 22 years old, and knock on wood, noone has turned me away yet but it will happen.  We need to do some painting on the front cap and my husband needs to repair a place on the fiberglass under a light in front.  Previous owners must have scrapped something.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I think that is going to be beautiful, very subtle, I wish I had your talent, durn.

I have heard and believe it that the campground at Lake Conroe will turn you away, but that area contains a lot of snobs, so makes sense.

Having said that my Eagle is 22 years old, and knock on wood, noone has turned me away yet but it will happen.  We need to do some painting on the front cap and my husband needs to repair a place on the fiberglass under a light in front.  Previous owners must have scrapped something.
DW and I had a 1988 Hawkins Motor Coach until last summer. We were NEVER turned away from a campground or RV park, even ones with a 10 yr. rule.  That's not to say it never could have happened.  The coach was in good condition and meticulously maintained. It was a magnet for people with fancy, new, class A coaches. Many wanted to look inside.  My point is this: keep your coach well maintained, and you should always be able to find a place that will welcome you. (BTW, we sold the coach and two other vehicles last summer in the interest of simplifying our lives. Now we're down to a sedan and a pickup with a TC. Life is good.  ;D)

It's yours.  Paint it anyway you want.  Express yourself.  If it's an old fuddy duddy park and they don't like it move on.  State and National parks are usually much nicer anyway.

This is it--ha ha well, I may add a tiiiiiinnnnyyyy bit more before I clear coat, but I am very pleased with the overall effect. I love how depending on light angles and intensity the metallics change. It is very easy on the eyes colorwise, basically painted with four colors. I can't imagine this would offend anyone. These photos don't really do it justice, but I hope if any of you recognize it when we are travelling about you stop and say hi! The bronze and charcoal on the bottom is iron oxide (literally tiny pieces of iron) which sparkles beautifully but is thick and durable which will make a good chip guard. I painted it over my formica counter in my bathroom at home years ago and holds up great even with water on it all the time. Thank you everyone for your input. And also for letting me know that age of the RV isn't as important as keeping it maintained-I see so many old ones that look great. Now I just have to manhandle the new canopy into place so I can turn it around and paint the other sides!

Attachments

• rv1.JPG
    rv1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 110
  • rv2.JPG
    rv2.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 113
  • rv3.JPG
    rv3.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 114
Beautiful!

I would love to see more art work on RV's. I am not that impressed with the paint jobs that roll off the assembly line.

What I think is hideous, others have paid a bloody fortune to own and look that way because the designers at the plant came up with the scheme.

I am still flabbergasted that campgrounds would turn away campers based on an artistic paint job. Ridiculous. If I were going to be a snob, I  would turn away all the depressing color schemes. I hope RV-ing becomes more a movable art show.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom