riding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

Is it legal to ride in a towed camper? I thought that you couldn't, but a state trooper told me you can in a 5er but not a TT. I am in Maryland.

It will vary by state, but most prohibit it now. I assume the Maryland trooper advised you correctly on MD law, but it may not be legal in adjacent sates.

It is never a good idea, though.  RVs are homes and full of hard objects to bump into. It is surprising bouncy in a large moving vehicle and trailers often do not even have shock absorbers to soften it a bit.  I'm not talking about emergency maneuvers or poyholes roads either - just driving in normal traffic can be exciting for anyone who is not in a regular seat. And then there is the matter of seat belts too...

In short, don't even think about it. It's a really poor idea.

That was my take on it also, I know someone who let their kids ride in the 5er on a 6 hour trip. I was really surprised to hear it was even allowed.

RV Roamer said:
Fortunately there are still a few state governments that don't feel it is necessary to legislate against every variety of stupidity.

Yeah but every state in the union has safety belt laws.  The Feds, wisely in my opinion, forced that with the federal highway funding.  Allowing kids to ride in a trailer unbelted and/or without proper seats is a clear violation of that.  In the event of an accident, it could result in prosecution for reckless endangerment -- a serious violation.

When I mentioned the seat belt issue to him, he said "The school bus doesen't have seat belts" which I guess is true, but I still will not do it.

modified to restore original text

School buses are specifically exempt but they're built much stronger than any trailer.  A school bus will survive a rollover mostly intact but a trailer will be a pile of rubbish in one.

janpaul said:
When I mentioned the seat belt issue to him, he said "The school bus doesen't have seat belts" which I guess is true, but I still will not do it.

As Ned says, the law specifically exempts school buses --- and transit and transit and intercity buses.  To my knowledge nowhere are house trailers or motorhomes exempt.  If he wants to risk his kids and his maybe his liberty on the basis of a cockamammy false analogy, what can a person say.

woodartist said:
and some peope ride in the bed of a pickup truck :eek:

In Arizona, it is illegal for a dog to ride in the bed of a truck, but no restrictions on your children ??? :-\ :'(

I think that AZ passed a law that there can be a $10 fine if there are people in the bed of a pickup. Haven't seen it enforced. I think it is still legal in WY though. There are quite a few people killed every year for riding in the bed......a good friend of my son was killed that way. He was in second grade :(

In PA, you can't ride in a trailer or the bed of a pickup unless there are bolted down seats with seatbelts. Basically, riders must be in seatbelted positions. Landscapers that ride their crew around in the back of a pickup are always getting stopped.

Seatbelts in school buses are problematic because older riders sit 2 to a seat, while younger riders go 3 to a seat, so seatbelts become a tangled mess subject to vandalism and not used.  Designs have now changed by putting the seats closer together, Making the backs higher, and padding them so in an impact, a rider will hit the padded seat with less momentum.  School buses are strong vehicles by design, and the passengers sit above where the average vehicle would hit them. The bottom black rib on the outside of a school bus is the floor line, and the upper is the seat height, just to give you a visual.

Back
Top Bottom