RO in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

My wife and I have an RO drinking water system in our home.  I have been less than underwhelmed by the water provided in our first two 3 month camp ground stays.  Water was county wide systems in both cases and was terrible.

Just wondering if any one has gone to the trouble of installing a small one.  I just got a Dometic ICE maker for out next trip and it makes very good and fast ice cubes if I put RO water in it.  If I use our well water it makes cloudy and air filled ice, not the crystal clear of RO water.

Just curious.

Tom...

I don't know what a RO system is but we use a Filtrete water filtering system on top of an in-line water filter for all of our drinking water.  We also have a Dometic Ice Maker to supplement our refrigerator ice maker.  Our two Yorkies drink only bottled water as one of them (Princess Annie) has a very digestive system.

Some folks use RO systems in their RVs. You seem to feel that level of water quality is important, so I would say "go for it". There are systems intended for use in Rvs and boats, so shouldn't be all that hard to add. Here is one source:
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WCRO.htm

Thank you both for your replies,  RO  stands for reverse osmosis.  Yes,  I do like un flavored (BY LOCAL MUNICIPALITIES) water.  RO water is very nice for all kinds of drinking  water and cooking applications.  I will definitely look into it.

Tom...

The only issue you might have with an RO unit is the amount of waste water the unit produces during the filtration process. If you have full hook-ups OK, but if not you might find you're filling your grey tank a lot more often.

We have been using a household style RO system with a 2 gal tank for 6 years in our trailer. When we have full hookups it's drained into the grey tank and the tank is left open just like we always have. If we have water only then I have a tube that goes outside and we water the grass with the waste water.

Denny

I have heard a lot of argument on RO systems... Some folks it seems feel they are bad for your health.

What I have not seen is scientific fact to back up those claims.  So...

My recommendation is this: IF, the water in the campground is nasty enough.. Well they make RV size RO filters.  They work and work well from what I'm told.  I do not have one myself, (I use a simple carbon filter) but if you feel the need... GO FOR IT.

In Quartsite.. A whole lot of folks use RO water.. And for good reason.

John From Detroit said:
I have heard a lot of argument on RO systems... Some folks it seems feel they are bad for your health.

What I have not seen is scientific fact to back up those claims.  So...

My recommendation is this: IF, the water in the campground is nasty enough.. Well they make RV size RO filters.  They work and work well from what I'm told.  I do not have one myself, (I use a simple carbon filter) but if you feel the need... GO FOR IT.

In Quartsite.. A whole lot of folks use RO water.. And for good reason.

RO systems and water softeners in Quartsite.

Denny

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Floss71
Back
Top Bottom