roof/ceiling vent cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bermuda95

Hello, first year with an RV.  I am not even sure if I am using the right term here.    But my Class C has three square "roof vents" on it.  One above the front bunk, one in the bathroom and one in the back bedroom.  These have cranks on them to open them and let air/light in.  They also have screens on them and on our last trip a bunch of leaves/twigs got into them and now are sitting just above the screen.  There are plastic covers on the roof covering them, with vents/screens on them.  So I am not sure how anything even got in.  But does anyone have any tips on how I can access above the screens to get that crap out?  The screens do not seem to come down easy and I don't want to break them.  I even unscrewed one of the crank handles but the screen still does not slide out....

Any tips are appreciated.

Chuck

My suggestion would be to use your shop vacuum and put the hose on the 'blow' output of the vacuum.  Open the vent cover and then blow the leaves out, close the vent covers and let your next drive carry them away.  That or you could go on the roof and vacuum them out.  That would save you the trouble of removing the screens.  On the older rigs, removing old, crusty plastic items can often result in breakage!

They likely will come open from below.

On my trailer, the square plastic frame on the ceiling, held by 4 screws, has to be taken down first. Then, once you have removed the opening crank, the 2 screws holding the screen itself can be removed permitting you to take down the screen . DO NOT loose the little retainers on those screws or the fun will start when it is time to put the screen back up and those two screws fall out each time you try!!!. If you loose them, I suggest you start by putting a small piece of cardboard on top and pierced by the screw to temporarily hold them in place. Care must be taken in putting the frame back on the ceiling because it is screwed only into thin plywood and the screws will strip if over tightened.

Be aware that on many of those 'over the vent covers', Maxair is one brand, that are installed so one can leave the vent open, even in the rain,  may NOT touch the roof  all around as they are on brackets that attach to the protruding vent frame, and thus not flush to the roof. Stuff can get under them, including little bugs. That said, I have never seen much of a problem and the fitted screen, along with the screen in the vent itself, keeps most annoyances out...

HTH

Thanks for the advice.  I'll check into both options and see what will work.  I do have a shop vac that I can blast them out with.  I also have that plastic frame with four screws that should allow for removal from inside.  I appreciate the tips.

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom