Roof needed on an old rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylo

I am the proud owner of a 1990 Jamboree Searcher, 21ft class C. It sat for about 5 years. Definitely needs some TLC. It's got 75k on the ODO.

I am in the process of working out all the issues. Fortunately, it seems the only MAJOR issue is the roof. I am fully capable of replacing it myself - although in my research it looks like everyone says it's gonna be at least $2k for all the material. I really only intend to get a couple three of years of service out of this thing. Is it worth it to replace the roof in the traditional manner?

The guy I bought it from bought an interesting product, with the intention of using it. If anyone is familiar with conventional roofs on a home - this stuff looks like the "water and ice" self adhesive stuff that gets put on near the eaves. It is slightly thinner, and has an aluminum top. I suppose his theory was that it will be much more UV resistant to the Arizona sun than rubber. He gave me this stuff with the RV. I have never seen this stuff used on an RV. I talked with a guy at the local RV parts store. He said the primary reason for the rubber is because the coach flexes with wind and road conditions.

In any case - I'm not really interested in plunking down $2k right now. I was thinking about just skinning right over the existing roof with some new luan, and then putting this stuff down on top. My thinking is that I can always rip this off in a year or so and do it right, if it fails. What do you guys think?

Mylo

There are several liquid products available that are available and can be 'painted' directly on the rubber roof provided it is in good enough shape. Which product to use is dependant on the type of rubber roof it is as there are 2 specific type of rubber material available TPO and EPDM. Read Here on material types:

http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/02/14/rv-rubber-roof-but-what-type/

Google "Kool seal" and "Liquid Roof" as  examples of products.

Do it right the first time and be over with it.  Why waste time and money on a patch?

Alfa38User said:
There are several liquid products available that are available and can be 'painted' directly on the rubber roof provided it is in good enough shape. Which product to use is dependant on the type of rubber roof it is as there are 2 specific type of rubber material available TPO and EPDM. Read Here on material types:

http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/02/14/rv-rubber-roof-but-what-type/

Google "Kool seal" and "Liquid Roof" as  examples of products.

I considered that, but there are several areas where the rubber is completely gone (exposed wood).

Mylo

donn said:
Do it right the first time and be over with it.  Why waste time and money on a patch?

Might be a waste of my time, but the money is already spent (with the exception of some self leveling caulk and/or eternabond tape).

Mylo

I resisted being the first to reply to this topic so not to be the first to pee on your parade.  But the fact is, if the roof is in that bad condition, there is undoubtedly considerable water damage in the upper bunk and interior walls.  You are going to find wood rot and mold throughout this rig.  Been there, done that.....

If you do not strip the roof down to determine, and expose, the extent of previous water damage, and rebuild it accordingly, you are only delaying and complicating the inevitable total rebuild or scrap.  JMHO

Seems like the luan would be at least as expensive as what ever covering you use, so half your cost is right there. Would it be salvageable if this adhesive stuff doesn't work?  And I think a 10x25 ft piece of EPDm material is only a couple hundred bucks anyway. I don't see $2000 in materials.
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber_roofing_epdm.htm

Does this stuff have a brand or product name? Most "water & ice" products are for use as underlayment and intended to have something on top of them for surface protection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom