Roof...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mary Randolph

I have a 1995 Fleetwood wilderness. The roof seems to be peeling. I am not sure what kind of roof repair to get. Hoping someone can help. Thanks

Please explain "peeling" a bit more. Better yet, include a picture.

A 1995 Wilderness would have an EPDM rubber roof. The canvas-backed rubber is sometimes not tightly glued down and comes loose over time, but that is usually described as a bubble or loose membrane. Peeling is more likely some add-on over-coating coming loose from the original. That's a fairly common problem caused by poor quality preparation when the aftermarket coating was applied. There's not much to do except keep on peeling it off, then clean & prep for a new coating. That's often a lot of labor, so it's easier to replace the original rubber membrane instead. But that's quite expensive unless you can DIY.

You probably have an EDPM (usually called rubber) roof. Are you thinking of gluing it back down or do you want to replace it?
No way to glue it back its bad going to have to replace it. I will take a picture and post it when I get off work.

Please explain "peeling" a bit more. Better yet, include a picture.

A 1995 Wilderness would have an EPDM rubber roof. The canvas-backed rubber is sometimes not tightly glued down and comes loose over time, but that is usually described as a bubble or loose membrane. Peeling is more likely some add-on over-coating coming loose from the original. That's a fairly common problem caused by poor quality preparation when the aftermarket coating was applied. There's not much to do except keep on peeling it off, then clean & prep for a new coating. That's often a lot of labor, so it's easier to replace the original rubber membrane instead. But that's quite expensive unless you can DIY.
I will take a picture and post it when I get off. I know I will have to replace just not sure of materials needed.

I would guess that it is as Gary suggested, a previous owner put some type of coating on it and that is what is coming off. I have never seen anything quite like that and I'll be interested to know if Gary has.

It does look to me like the original EDPM is there under everything. You don't mention any signs of leaking in the past, so that is good news. The edge of the membrane where the trim/awning rail is fasten would have had caulking and must still have it if there have been no leaks. The same would be true where it meets both the front and rear caps and at each of the roof penetration's. I hope that you have a weather tight area to work as I think that you should first remove everything from the roof and the metal trim and such and then address the removal of the old material. Since I've never been involved in a job of the magnitude that you have, so I'll hope that Gary has.

That's one of the uglier ones I've ever seen! Some sort of commercial roof-coat product slathered one, probably with little pre-cleaning and no concern whether the product is compatible with EPDM rubber membranes. Some coatings are not compatible and peeling is one possible result.

You can buy RV EPDM rubber membrane and the necessary lap sealant on Amazon, Ebay, or various RV parts sites. It's a lot of labor, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom