Rookie DP'er maiden trip report with bonus engine failure compare vs. 30' gasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Many thanks to all who offered advice here to my numerous questions. 2005 Winnie Vectra 400hp Cummins 37,000 miles replaced 30' Winnie gasser with Ford V10. Trip was Tampa FL to Jacksonville NC to St Cloud MN approx 2500 miles

+'s
seemingly infinite power compared to V10
engine brake wonderful
very quiet
surprising stable on windy days, much better than 30' gasser and 38' gasser rental.
easy to maneuver once I got used to it
almost unbelievable amount of storage I am sure we will never use completely
got a repair facility referral from a friend that owns a trucking company

-'s
User manual not nearly as comprehensive as it could be
typical used vehicle several things need repair
will find out how good extended warranty is

-- item
90 miles from home some type of engine failure sudden "smoke" then very rapid engine temp increase shut it off immediately
serpentine belt was broke but belt and tensioner were replaced 2 years ago so belt failure somewhat unlikely
suspect blown hose or radiator (trucker friend says blown turbo would've spewed oil all over)
**** happens, just glad it didn't happen in NC mountains or area with no shoulder
learned about waiting for a tow truck big enough for a DP
will find out next week the damage

thx again for all the advice.

mark in MN

side mount. smoke was white and it wasn't running hot when I saw the cloud. In fact, it never got over 200 degrees in 2400 miles.

smoke or steam? don't know for sure. Steam I think because there was no oil mess on or under the engine.

The big-block engines take a lot to destroy but need some TLC. I ran them in my trucks on long hauls.
The problem with a pusher in the MH is the engine is really backwards and can collect lots of dust from the side mount radiator. So the belts and air cleaner can get ruined quickly on dust roads. That said, it stands to reason the life on them is shorter than a front mount engine. The serpentine belt has little grooves that love to collect nasty stuff. I clean mine anytime I check the engine to be sure the grooves have not collected something. You can look at the slack adjuster on the belt on the left side. It should be running pretty smooth. If it's bouncing even a little, check the ribs and groove and the flat side for something embedded in the belt. They are not that hard to replace, and I do mine often for that reason.
Good luck and hope not an expensive repair. Rusty

check the air conditioner pulley it should spin freely but could have seized up and the smoke could have been the belt

seized alternator broke the belt. $2200 inc. a $770 tow.

add'l problem is rear brakes (which worked perfectly for 2450 miles) got hot enough to smoke at the very end of the 90 mile tow. driveshaft was removed before towing. can't see how it could be anything but an error by the tow truck driver who admitted he'd never towed a DP before.

add'l problem is rear brakes (which worked perfectly for 2450 miles) got hot enough to smoke at the very end of the 90 mile tow. driveshaft was removed before towing. can't see how it could be anything but an error by the tow truck driver who admitted he'd never towed a DP before.
Um, air brakes?
If so, I'm guessing the air tank bled out at the end and set the parking brakes.
You need minimum 90 PSI of air to compress the spring.

If it held out for 90 miles I'd say your air system is good!

Kevin

can't see how it could be anything but an error by the tow truck driver who admitted he'd never towed a DP before.
Kevin probably hit it -- if you have air brakes, and he didn't hook his air into your air system, then it is his error.

'Kevin probably hit it -- if you have air brakes, and he didn't hook his air into your air system, then it is his error."

actually he did connect his air system to the coach air system via the air compressor port under the hood. there is a valve there but I'd assume if the tow driver knew enough to hook up the air he'd open the valve which is an inch away from the male bayonet connector.

Whoa I hope it was a new not rebuilt alternator

Back
Top Bottom