Royal Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, no one is understanding what I am saying about ugly hats. A picture is worth a thousand words, here are 12000 words;

Attachments

• Ugly hats 01.JPG
    Ugly hats 01.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Ugly hats 02.JPG
    Ugly hats 02.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Ugly hats 03.JPG
    Ugly hats 03.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Ugly hats 04.JPG
    Ugly hats 04.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Ugly hats 05.JPG
    Ugly hats 05.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Ugly hats 06.JPG
    Ugly hats 06.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Ugly hats 07.JPG
    Ugly hats 07.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Ugly hats 08.JPG
    Ugly hats 08.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Ugly hats 09.JPG
    Ugly hats 09.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Ugly hats 10.JPG
    Ugly hats 10.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Ugly hats 11.JPG
    Ugly hats 11.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Ugly hats 12.JPG
    Ugly hats 12.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 24
Well, no one can argue that Beatrice and Eugenie's hats were hideous (as well as the makeup on one of them). But I thought that the hat that the mother-of-the-bride wore was quite lovely.

And most of the pictures you posted were crazy people watching the bridal procession, not members of the bridal party or guests.

Anyway, if they were happy with their hats, why should we care?

Wendy

Hey Tom, what's that hat you're wearing in your avatar pic? Looks like you, Ned, Mike & Wendy started your own hat fashion show  ;D

As Wendy said, several of your photos are of fans and well-wishers having a little harmless fun for the day. A couple show "high fashion" hats, while the remainder are military "tradition", which you said you understood.

FWIW my elder sister spends 3 days a week having dialysis at the hospital. Friday is one of her hospital days, and she previously told me that she and the other female dialysis patients planned to wear "fashion hats" for the day today, and watch the wedding on TV while having their treatment. I forgot to ask her to get one of the medical staff take a photo.

Personally, although I understand the hat thing, I also thought that some of the hats worn by wedding guests were a bit weird. But the milliners made a bunch of money, and I suspect they'll make more as it becomes "fashionable" to wear some of those strange-looking appendages.
Edit: Relocated incorrectly placed text.

I got up at 3:00 AM and was quite excited to do so.  I agree with the ugly hats on Beatrice and Eugenie and some of the other guests but I also read a story where the designers of the hats made big bucks for today's events, yes even the two princesses hats.  I didn't mind Victoria's Beckhams hat as much as I can't believe how much eye makeup she had on, now that was awful. 

I thought today was so special and the only time I thought of Lady Di and shed a tear was when the boys were entering the Abbey and I thought it was a shame that she wasn't there to see it for herself.  Kate will for sure make her own mark and I am just wondering what she will be named because Di was the People's Princess.  I am pretty sure the people already love Kate just as much.  I found it to be so genuine compared to almost 30 years ago when I remember watching and thinking why is a beautiful woman like that marrying that old guy (I was 15 yrs old then)...Our city is a stop for the Newlyweds to tour in July and I can't wait for that.

My husband isn't so enthusiastic about it all but he is letting me watch everything Royal Wedding related right now.

Being Canadian this may mean more to me than Americans but the Monarchy is quite important to us and we love the Royal Family.

seilerbird said:
I was up at 3 am to see the whole thing and I thought it was lovely..........

seilerbird said:
They are still searching desperately for the one American who actually cares about the royal wedding. I would rather watch paint dry.

I'm so confuse....... :eek:

Obviously a lot of people have some interest in the doings of royalty, else why were so many watching the ceremony (live or recorded), and why 45+ comments here? And I don't think anybody has to justify why they got married, or why they exist.  Too many of us could  not come up with justification to be asking that question of others.

As for me, I merely wish William & Kate many, many joyous days (and nights).

Well it is 8pm here in Detroit and we are watching the wedding service (CBC replay).  We have always had CBC (17 miles across the river) here.  Pre-cable and now w cable...just no more "snow".  No shortcuts, the entire service.  The music is great and, and, and well you know Tom the HATS!!!  Joanne and I are both enjoying the visual candy.  Wedding are almost always fun and specially when you do not have to foot the bill.

Hooray for the British!! Nothing wrong with a little pomp and ceremony with the ugly hats and all. It seems I have one here that is a top hat with yellow and red flames, worn not as a fashion statement but just to get attention. Celebrate their marriage, it beats the hell outta Jerry Springer.

Here's a touch of the real world, unfortunately.

I spent the early morning (up at 3:00 a.m.on the west coast) watching a joyous celebration of a wedding.  Some of the hats were horrible, some were elegant, the pomp and circumstance was wonderful!  The bride was beautiful, the Queen was the epitome of regal elegance and the enthusiasm of the crowd delightful. 

I spent the noon hour watching news reports of record setting devastation of tornado damage in Alabama and other southeast states.

I spent the late afternoon watching a heartwarming, emotional, celebration of life for an extraordinarily talented and beloved Eugene, Oregon traffic patrol officer killed in the line of duty, shot by a mentally challenged woman.  There were more than 400 police and fire vehicles in the procession and the heartfelt praise for a gifted public servant lasted almost three hours. 

Which "event" would I choose to repeat anytime soon?  The wedding ... hands down.

Margi

Lots of things always going on in this world.  That is why it is always fun and good to see a joyous event. 

Sea Vixen said:
Some joke.  Seilerbird - you have a weird sense of humour.  'Nuff said, and my apologies to everyone else.  The V2 'joke' hit home hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2

As one veteran to another, Thanks for your service Sea Vixen.....

Understood Tony. But, one day in 30 years doesn't feel like overload and, if it helps bring a much-needed diversion for the folks in the UK who have been battered with tough financial times, it can only be good. If anyone doesn't want to watch the endless newsclips, change the channel or turn off the TV; Tomorrow we'll have endless replays of a different story.

tswms said:
Am I the only one suffering from RWO (Royal Wedding Overload). Enough all ready.  Lets get back to the real world.

I am still watching the multitude of hours of coverage I  had  recorded.  I am relishing every morsel of the event.  I  think I secretly wish  I could become a Princess.  I  think I may already be one by the  many  things my "Prince"  does for  me, but the title and the  clothes would be fun too.  As Tom said this  event occurs infrequently so  I can  easily  enjoy it for  days .  I  love the  possibilites of  the "non real world."
BB

Today, you saw the very best of the Church of England on display; Her Royal Majesty, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Bishop of London, Westminster Abbey, the Cambridge University Choir, very solid traditional hymns, the 1662 Book of Common Prayer Form of Solemnization of Matrimony and the New English Translation of the Bible and the military performing their duties perfectly. Save your recordings for they are history you may never see again.

Serving as a priest in the Anglican Communion and as an undergraduate and graduate history major, I have another perspective.

Perhaps one will see this pageantry and traditional Christian Royal Marriage liturgy and worship once again. However, with Parliament allowing for blessings of homosexual marriages in church and women to be consecrated as bishops, the marriage of Prince William and Kate will probably produce an eventual heir to the throne whose marriage is likely to both look and sound far different than what we viewed today. That thought brings me little joy tonight. 

The sun set on the British Empire in the 20th Century and now it is setting on the Church of England in the 21st. Perhaps the missionaries from Africa, South America and Southeast Asia arriving in Great Britain almost weekly may bring a reversal of the secular and Islamic tides beginning to overwhelm the British Isles and return to the Church of England, Wales and Scotland the Apostolic faith that they received from these Churches in the 19th Century.

Interesting perspective Bob, thanks for sharing.

Well I suppose if the Archbishop of Canterbury were female the white beard would surely be gone.  But I think we are getting off subject.  The wedding was beautiful and went off without a flaw.  Enjoy

tswms said:
Am I the only one suffering from RWO (Royal Wedding Overload). Enough all ready.  Lets get back to the real world.

No way Tony.  :eek:    Haven't you seen?  That 'real' world is full of tornados, floods, earthquakes, leaking nuclear plants and $5 gas.  You want it?  You can have it. 

[quote author=Len and Jo]The wedding was beautiful and went off without a flaw.[/quote]

The only mishap I spotted was one of the horses throwing its rider and bolting. Story here.

Security and crowd management were first class, and a good rehearsal for next year's Olympics in London, in addition to the Diamond Jubilee celebrations for Queen Elizabeth's 60th year on the throne.

Back
Top Bottom