Rules in an RV Park and your pet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

startingover

So we're having a small issue with a camper who seems to be new at this..he is apparently new at small areas available too..meaning for his dog.
He loves his dog very much, clearly and has always been able to provide a certain amount of freedom for it. He's been corrected a few times about our leash rules..DOGS MUST BE LEASHED IN THE PARK. Yet, he walks his dog to the outside of the park off leash to let her run..again we had to stop him and have him get his leash.
We don't want to "parent" adults. The rules are clear. This is for the safety of ALL OF THE PETS HERE. Right now, the only resident without a dog, is the manager.
I hope he can come to terms with this soon.
He's had a few really tough breaks in his life and I get trying to keep things normal for his dog, so maybe this isn't the right place for them.
Nice guy though.
Please don't force your camp hosts' hand by making them enforce the written rules.

In one of our favorite parks, we had a situation where an owner brought his dog outside and was letting him run loose in the area of the coach while he was doing something. Sure enough, a young child walking by startled the dog who knocked the child to the hard concrete and nipped him. "This is a well behaved dog - he's never done this! We never tie him up!"

There's a reason (actually more than one) for the idea of keeping everyone's animal under direct control and personally, I, and most people I know, dog owners or not, appreciate it when the rules are graciously and fairly applied. I would hope your guest is responsible enough to get that, regardless of his personal history.

Some people have to learn the hard way. We had one lady who just would not leash her dog even tho she was confronted many times. She would attach the leash when confronted, but as soon as I left the area, she would remove it. To make a long story short, one of the Rangers from district decided to camp in the park for a week end while she was there. He observed me tell the lady that the rules were there to protect her as well as the other people. She put the leash on till I was out of site, then removed it. The Ranger wrote her a citation, and she came to the office screaming at me about not warning her that her neighbor was a Ranger.  [Haven't seen her back  now for almost six months.]

Lee

If he walks the dog off-leash OUTSIDE the park... Local laws and/or ordiances may be violated and he is at risk of fine or loss of dog.

If it is the outside edge of the park.. Sounds like you are park management.. Your options are a bit different. Frankly I do not know what they are.

If you are not park management, You have but one option: Notify park management.

I'm a work/camper. We all take responsibility for enforcing the rules, but update the Manager if it doesn't work.
The property around us is private and owned by the owner of the campground. Dogs are allowed to run in the wild areas immediately surrounding the park, just not the RV Park itself. The park is a "horseshoe" parking lot layout, but just below it is a plateau that is wide open and above us is a forested area. Either of those are available for off leash, legally.
There is even a turn out rest area just outside of the campground where travelers often stop and let their dogs run. It's perfectly legal.
The guy is used to being able to let his dog out unleashed without worry of her taking off in his previous living situation..he just can't do that here.

Sounds to me like he's just being a jerk. Perhaps you could explain to him that there must be an end to your patience. Leash the dog or leave.

What this person doesn't seem to get is that it is for the sake of the dog, too. We live beside a protected area of about 250 acres that is essentially a dog park.  No one has to use leashes if they don't want to. A couple of weeks ago my DH was walking them when another dog came flying down a hill which resulted in a fight with one of my BC's.  Neither dog did anything wrong, but how would that owner like if a larger dog with an owner with the same attitude came and attacked his dog?  Hmmm, might want the leash rule enforced then.

When in Rome....

He sounds lazy and selfish to me so I would not feel bad for him. Just because he has had some hard times it does not exempt him from the rules. Follow the rules or leave, that simple!

I posted out of frustration. We all agree that if he does it even one more time, he's gone. He is paid up for 6 more days. We shall see.
One other thing, we seem to have a small pack of VERY YOUNG coyotes running through the park at night.
I'm sure there are adults somewhere, but all I see is pups...I say pups because they seem to be around 5 to 9 months old. Last night I was driving in around 10pm and there two, seemingly alone, playing...with each other. Not hunting, playing.
I guess it's that time of year, but beware folks. Young canines don't have the discipline or experience to stay away and can be a real threat to you and your pets.
So far we have not seen them during daylight, so there must be a supervising adult somewhere.

As I sit in the office covering my shift today, the guy in question just drove past on his ATV with his dog in a crate on the back. Okay? That works too. We can forgo a leash in that case. LMAO.
I like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom