Running a 240v aur conditioner from a 120v ecoflow delta pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linterberg

Hi
I live in Asia. I have a ecoflow delta pro and a 240v , 6000 btu, 300w air conditioner.

Since the Delta Pro is 120v (unless you use two daisy-chained) can i run a step up converter?

Does that mean that it will use twice as much power? Im trying to understand how much electricity i lose.

Will it pull 600w instead of 300w out of the battery when i use a step up converter? So effectively the AC is pulling 600w not 300w and then i calculate half the battery life if it was 120 vs 240v

Sorry trying to get my head around all this.

Are you proposing to run this unit from battery power? When powering a 120VAC appliance through inverter, from 12VDC batteries, the multiplier is 10X. This means if the appliance draw is 300W @ 120VAC, the batteries are being drained at the rate of 3,000W DC.
Hopefully an electrician will hop-in and offer correct information.

Some device manufactures have provisions for converting motors from 240 to 120 so they can sell the same base unit globally - perhaps find the A/C wiring diagram and see if a simple (kinda simple) change of power taps can make the unit happy with 120. Or, call the manufacturer and ask a tech - they may know if their compressor/fan/control board can be modified.

It is a relatively simple matter of using a Step up / Step down transformer, though you will take about a 10% conversion loss which will be radiated as heat from the transformer. In the US a 1KVA - 2KVA step up / step down transformer are commonly available used / surplus market priced at perhaps $100 or so, though shipping will kill you due to the weight. Something along the lines of this ebay item 1 KVA SOLA HEVI-DUTY HS1F1A ENCAPSULATED TRANSFORMER 240X480 VAC TO 240/120 V 3R | eBay Transformers are bi-directional, meaning if you feed 120V into the secondary side, 240V will come out the primary side, or vice versa.

This means if the appliance draw is 300W @ 120VAC, the batteries are being drained at the rate of 3,000W DC.
Hopefully an electrician will hop-in and offer correct information.
I’m no “electrician” but I do understand electricity. What you have stated here is 100% wrong. Watts are watts, no matter what the voltage. The watts will not change.

What WILL change is the amp draw. 300 watts at 110 volts calculates to a 2.7 amp draw. 300 watts at 12 volts calculates to a 25 amp draw. The WATTS is the same.

Finally, a 6,000 btu AC unit will consume 600 watts, not 300 watts.

From the EcoFlow website I found what I think you own. Standalone power source of 3.6kWh at 120VAC. To run a 220VAC air conditioner, you need a international transformer. Grainger has them here in the states.

1664586287826.png
1664586330949.png

So if you have 3,600Wh source and your AC uses 300W per hour, then theoretically you can run for 12 hours at 100% efficiency. But figure 10% conversion loss, then figure on 10.8 hours of run time.

Last edited:
I’m no “electrician” but I do understand electricity. What you have stated here is 100% wrong. Watts are watts, no matter what the voltage. The watts will not change.

What WILL change is the amp draw. 300 watts at 110 volts calculates to a 2.7 amp draw. 300 watts at 12 volts calculates to a 25 amp draw. The WATTS is the same.

Finally, a 6,000 btu AC unit will consume 600 watts, not 300 watts.
OK, thanks. Your calculations say it is still approx. 10X the AC draw.

The largest Ecoflo Delta Pro has a capacity of 3600 watt-hours (WH). If your a/c is consuming 600 watts, it could theoretically run non-stop for 6 hours (600W x 6 Hr = 3600 WH). In practice, it's probably a bit less hours, but that's close enough for an estimate.

This assumes the a/c compressor runs non-stop. If the a/c compressor is cycling on & off with the thermostat demand, you may actually be able to operate the a/c longer. For example, if the a/c only cools half the time, it might provide air conditioning for nearly twice as long.

240v , 6000 btu, 300w air conditioner

As I said in my previous post, 3.6kWh at 300W per hour minus 10% loss for the 120 to 240 converter will get you about 10.8 hours of run time.

Depending on the initial temperature of the RV or room you are trying to cool and the temp setting of the thermostat, it may take several hours or more of continuous running before it reaches the desired temp and starts modulating unless it is variable speed compressor unit like a mini split, then the compressor just varies it's speed and doesn't really shut off. Even then, figure full power consumption for the first few hours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom