Running Jayco 154HB fro Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jake86us

Hey, Guys/Gals

I hope this is in the right pace, if not please move to right place. I recently bought my first camper a used 2017 Jayco 154bh, and I'm wanting to use my Alton 3500 watt generator to run the camper while boon docking/dry camping. The problem is my generator only has two 120 15Amp plugs, each on their own leg. My question is can I make an adaptor that takes the two 15amp 120v plugs and runs them into one 120v 30 amp RV plug receptacle. Do I need to worry about phasing issues? Damaging my generator.. etc.

thanks for help you may have!

Jake 

You do indeed need to worry about phasing on those two outlets. Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage between the two hot terminals. It will be zero if they are the same phase and 240 if not. If same phase, they can be tied together to increase the amperage. Your adapter must connect both hot and neutral from each outlet, but only one ground is required (but may as well do two of those as well).

I'll bet you will find them to be on opposite phases.

Welcome to the RV Forum Jake

Looks like Gary has you covered...So I'll just say hello.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You do indeed need to worry about phasing on those two outlets. Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage between the two hot terminals. It will be zero if they are the same phase and 240 if not. If same phase, they can be tied together to increase the amperage. Your adapter must connect both hot and neutral from each outlet, but only one ground is required (but may as well do two of those as well).

I'll bet you will find them to be on opposite phases.

Thanks Gary, I'll check it to see if it is or not!

It's quite common for the el cheapo contractor generators to have that limitation. They produce plenty of watts, but the max is available only as 240v (useless for a 30A RV) or as multiple 15A/120v sources.  If you have only 15A outlets, you effectively have an 1800 watt genset (for 30A RV purposes).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom