Russ Mahoney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russ not only made Liliane and I feel particularly welcome at Happy Trails, he could always be relied upon to help out when help was needed.  A good friend who will be remembered with great affection.

Terry and Liliane, at home in UK

Dear Russ, while you live on in the hearts of those who loved you, you will never die.

Was very saddened when reading this news of Russ. Each year I have been able to attend the Quartzsite rally I have looked forward to seeing him plus on my only trek to Moab he and I were the early birds so spent a bit more time together. And the later was a real treat for me. We did a few out to dinner and breakfast that made me aware of his knowledge and enjoyment of good food. And his open critique if the meal he was served did not meet his standards. On another occasion I was in his rig while he cooked for some guests while showing me his latest Apple computer systems. He probably had the largest computer screen I had every seen in an RV.

Over the years I have also spent  time in Quartzsite other than attending the RV Forum rally - and would post here that I was there and at which part of area of the desert area I was in. More than once, I would hear a knock on my door - and there was Russ. He would have his folding chair in one hand and a drink of some sort - usually wine - in the other. He always liked his own chair. We would chat of many things and that was always a pleasure. To say he was well versed would be putting it mildly.

Since the late 90's I have been photographing various individuals, events, and group shots at Quartzsite. And Russ was always one of my favorite folks get some sort of shot. Have gone though a number of those this evening in hopes that a few of them would in a small way describe this unique friend of so many on the forum.

When doing group shots, Russ would be one of the first to arrive. One my favorite group shots one year he arrived as I was setting things up - and found a spot right in the middle. On several other such shots, he would also find that spot.

On another occasion, our chaplain, Bob Maxwell, lead group presentation that remembered all those forum members that we have lost over the years -- and Russ was there, of course.

There was also the hat thing that has already been posted - but also the passing of the glove from Russ to the next member to have done earned the right to have it. Let's see, that was for the major mess-up of the year wasn't it?

There's another here of Russ relating to the happy hour group an event of his day. He loved to do this, and the group loved to hear about whatever it was.

But my favorite shot of Russ was the evening at happy hour that the bottom of his wine glass broke. However, this did not stop his enjoyment of that wine and the time he was having with the rest of the group.

I will truly miss Russ . . .

Attachments

• Russ-1s.JPG
    Russ-1s.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Russ-2s.JPG
    Russ-2s.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Russ-3s.JPG
    Russ-3s.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Russ-4s.JPG
    Russ-4s.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Russ-5s.JPG
    Russ-5s.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Russ-6s.JPG
    Russ-6s.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Russ-8s.JPG
    Russ-8s.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Russ-9s.JPG
    Russ-9s.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Russ-10s.JPG
    Russ-10s.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Russ-11s.JPG
    Russ-11s.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 38
We also met Russ at Catalina this year and spent time with him at Indio and Quartzite.
He was a unique personality that one quickly likes and appreciates his wit and intelligence.

We enjoyed breakfast with him in Catalina and the waitress even remembered him from
previous years when we sat down.  She scolded him about complaining, and you could
immediately see that devilish 'twinkle' in his eye.  He truly enjoyed being around people.

He will be missed by his Old Friends, and New Friends alike.

Larry & Loretta

When I saw the subject name, it was with great trepidation that I opened this thread. Russ was a very unique personality and one that I was happy to call my friend. He will be missed very much.

"Father of all, we pray to you for Russ and all those we love, but see no longer: Grant them your peace; let light perpetual shine upon them; and, in your loving wisdom and almighty power, work in them the good purpose of your perfect will; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.
:'(
Russ is a dear friend . . . and fellow lover of a good table. Bev and I met him early on and as former Nebraskans, with her having had the Safeway Adv account for both states, Des Moines was a 2nd business center for her. I'm sure they will be crossing paths very shortly. . .

I remember when Russ was coming to our home in Northern New Mexico and showed up to park his rig in our big circle drive. He was almost drooling over his Compuserve messages in anticipation of going to Gabriel's for their tableside guacamole. After that superb appetizer and the outstanding meal, Russ said, "I have a confession to make.  ::) I couldn't wait. I got here early and drover over and had the guac at 2pm this afternoon and it's the best I've ever eaten!" He went back two times a day for several days, for lunch and carryout for our evening dinners!  ;D

When we returned to NM after my working sabbatical in Charlotte NC, Russ was excited to find out what culinary delights we'd located; so, for the best in New Mexican in Valencia County we took Russ to Pete's in Belen, across from the Harvey House. Their green chili stew immediately was pronounced the best he'd ever tasted and became the beacon, alongside Bev, that brought him back again and again.

I was blessed by a number of framily members that attended worship at St. Philip while I served them as vicar; and, I was surprised when one Saturday Russ arrived without notice and asked if he could attend the next morning. I discovered a profound faith and a Methodist heritage that still was meaningful to him. It was my privilege to serve him Holy Communion. Now he communes with his Lord face to face.

May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the
    mercy of God, rest in peace and rise in Glory.

Back
Top Bottom