RV defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We lived in Warrensburg, MO when I worked at Whiteman, AFB. We were invited to dinner at one of the college reps places. Her husband was retired AF like me and taught shop at the local high school. We quickly surmised he was very preoccupied with the guy that lived at the end of the right of way road. There was a gate before you got to the other guys property. He rented an old mobile home. The folks that we were visiting showed us the video system they had in the barn to perform surveillance on the guy in the trailer. 24/7 surveillance. He would intimidate the guy in the trailer by removing the shared lock on the gate and replacing it with his lock. Trailer guy couldn’t get to his trailer. Authorities told the other guy he had to put the shared lock back on. He did but he smeared it with dog feces. One thing led to another and one day trailer guy came home to find the other guy blocking his entry thru the gate. It seems an argument ensued and trailer guy ended up getting shot and killed. Surveillance guy claimed self defense. His cameras were positioned to film just outside of view of the shooting. He was charged, went to trial, was acquitted. Lost his house, his job, his money. But he’s free. He didn’t need to kill the trailer guy. He wanted to.

/\ /\ /\
Fishing to start another argumentative discussion. Why else would one post a story about a property dispute that ends with a shooting in a "RV defense" thread....LMAO
No wonder these threads continually resurface...

/\ /\ /\
Fishing to start another argumentative discussion. Why else would one post a story about a property dispute that ends with a shooting in a "RV defense" thread....LMAO
No wonder these threads continually resurface...
I posted to show what the consequences are when a gun is used. He may have been justified but it couldn’t be proven either way since there were no witnesses and the video was out of range. So even though acquitted he lost everything. He thought he was defending himself. By the way the guy that was shot was not armed.

Given the plethora of state gun laws (and it some states, county and city gun laws), if you take a firearm with you, what do you take?

(Please leave the general 2nd amendment and gun violence debate in the other thread, if you please.)
The Question of the thread. What (gun) do you take? AND Leave the gun violence debate out.
I posted to show what the consequences are when a gun is used.
And your post/answer; No answer to the question (we know you don't carry) and you again inserted gun violence debate.

I posted to show what the consequences are when a gun is used. He may have been justified but it couldn’t be proven either way since there were no witnesses and the video was out of range. So even though acquitted he lost everything. He thought he was defending himself. By the way the guy that was shot was not armed.
And that is why I linked to the very informative book, "In the Gravest Extreme".

Go back and read the replies and you will some “gun violence “ mentioned.
Thanks--I have not laughed that hard in a while. Most all of us, and you likely included told our kids, just cause someone else does or did it doesn't make it right or mean you can/should do it.....And yet here we are. :)

STILL LAUGHING.

Being judged by 12 costs in the range of $50,000, and up if appeals are needed.

S&W M&P 12 costs in the range of $1,000. (Although that does not preclude being judged by 12 anyway, especially in some anti-gun jurisdictions with "progressive" DAs.)
This is why many folks who carry concealed have "carry insurance", which pays those court costs for you, and it gets you a lawyer who knows the laws in that state! It's not super expensive either.

Well, I wasn't saying no firearm... I am thinking about a shotgun, though, for some jurisdictions, and a bullpup design for better handling in an RV (while not as good as a handgun, certainly).

I don't think I could handle the "shockwave" style; that is, keep it under control through the recoil. But, I've never actually shot one...
I've shot a pistol grip 20 ga. pump action, and it's not that bad on the kick, but would sure do plenty of damage to an intruder!!

X2. Anything longer than a handgun is ridiculous in an RV or house. Too slow to point and impossible to maneuver in tight spaces. If the intruder has a handgun and you have a shotgun or rifle you will lose. Like bringing an axe to a gunfight. Shotguns and rifles are for outdoor use.

I wouldn't say ridiculous, and a shotgun can be used quite effectively in a house or any enclosed space if one knows how to go about clearing corners and rooms. I understand your sentiment, but stating unequivocally "you will lose" is misguided. In my training (former USCG Enforcement Officer) and in private training and instruction, moving about in an enclosed space with a short barreled pistol-grip or birdshead shotgun can be done to great effect. A handgun is also effective so I guess it just depends upon what one is comfortable with. For someone untrained I would not recommend a shotgun nor would I recommend a semi-auto handgun. A revolver is pretty much foolproof and with the adrenaline running high in an intruder situation anyway, having to clear a malfunction in a SA might prove fatal. So I recommend a double action revolver of 9mm/.38/357 or higher caliber. Whatever one is trained on and is comfortable with. Of course, you do potentially lose some capacity with a revolver. Also, there are those that say (IMHO misguidedly) that an intruder in your home hearing the rack of a pump shotgun would prove to be a deterrent. If a BG has enough meth in him to break into your home not knowing if you are armed and trained or not, the racking a shotgun probably is not going to scare him away and also might give away your position. Regardless, proceed with caution with whatever firearm you choose to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom