RV Forum 'topic' site specific to disabled RV'ers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve & Linda

Is anyone aware of a rv forum site dedicated to those rv'ers with disabilities can share their travel experiences, focusing on the needs of, perhaps, a wheel-chair-bound person. We just returned from a grand tour of the East Coast and I've reviewed each campground we stayed at, focusing on its 'accessibility' for the handicapped in real time. While 'being handicapped' is not the only focus of our travels, I feel the information we'd share might be helpful to those who are, and have a place to 'compare notes' with others. And let's be honest, if you don't have some type of disability the information you share may not take into consideration a cg's/event's/attraction's/restaurant's accessibility to those who are.  In other words, I wouldn't want to bore everyone else on this forum with our experiences if the reader is not interested. I gain so much information and support from this RV Forum, I'd like to give back in some way and assist others in our situation or who may think RVing is not possible due to disabilities. Input??? Advise???

Steve,

I'm not disabled (thank the Lord) but I think a "disabled RVrs" section would be a great addition to a forum like this. While shopping for RV's I've seen several of them that are equipped with wheelchair amenities and other special features, and one even had a pretty clever built-in oxygen system. I've also read several postings on this forum from RVrs who have mentioned that they're disabled, so I know it's not all that rare.

I would never presume to volunteer anyone to do what has to be done to include such a topic, because I have no idea how much work is involved in keeping a quality forum like this functional (Tom does a great job though). I'm sure it's a lot of work and headaches. But I'd be willing to be that once the word got out, disabled RVrs would love to participate. Just my two-cents.

Kev

Steve, why not go ahead and post your information here on the forum. I'm sure others will benrfit from it, both now and in the future. It may even catalyze additional discussions on related subjects. At some point it might make sense to dedicate a message board here to such discussions.

I wouldn't worry about 'boring' anyone; Folks who have no interest in a topic don't have to read it.

I agree with Tom. My sister's husband has been in a wheelchair since 1975, and I look at everything differently.
One thing I considered was the ability to convert or use a toy hauler to accommodate his needs. The open garage area is ready to convert for any number of accessible options.

To add to what Tom says, those of us who rarely deal with people with disabilities might learn a few things too. A different point of view might help some of us at times.

Issues related to RVing with (or in spite of) disabilities would definitely have a broad interest here on the forum.  Ideas for adapting RVs might well be applicable to stick houses as well.

I'm sure Tom Jones will remember a delightful lady who was a quadraplegic attending one of our first rallies in Plymouth, CA.  Her significant other was very clever in adapting his RV to her needs.  Wish he was still around to advise us.

Margi

I think posts regarding RVing with disabilities would be very useful. And not just for wheelchairs. As RVers get older, just getting in and out of RVs can become difficult. Some of us have vision problems. And more than one RVer has an older dog that requires a ramp or other help getting in an RV. So post away with helpful info, there will be an audience.

Wendy

[quote author=Tom and Margi]I'm sure Tom Jones will remember a delightful lady who was a quadraplegic attending one of our first rallies in Plymouth, CA.[/quote]

I certainly do Margi. That was a really nice young lady called Patricia - and, as you said, her husband was very creative. I've missed seeing them around.

Steve, I also think the topic would be good info here at the forum. Not sure if you are aware of this site but just read about them in the Highways mag. Might have some good info for you.
http://rvingaccessibility.org/travel-for-people-with-disabilities/

Hi Steve and Linda,

I belong to several Rving forum sites. One of them does have a special forum just for RVing with disabilities or other health issues but it does not get a lot of traffic. While there are a number of us who RV and use wheelchairs we are not a very large population. I wanted a better way to target this group and share the information about all of the places where we travel so I started a blog a couple of years ago - link in signature line.

Since we all have a different style of RVing ( ours includes a lot of traveling and dry camping) the information may not be useful to everyone with mobility problems but I include information about all of the campgrounds and attractions that we visit. I would gladly post any information that you wished to share on my blog with credit to you as the author. The blog is a labor of love , no ads or compensation from other sources. I just enjoy doing it. :)

Thanks for all the input and comments. We'll continue to post things here and if folks are interested, then great! And I'll definitely be looking at the 'blog' mentioned, too.

Back
Top Bottom