RV Furnace Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeverden

Recently my Atwood furnace in my 99 Fourwinds Windsport class A has been really weak blowing hot air through the vents.  It doesn't matter if we are plugged in or on battery power.  Because it is barely blowing, the furnace stays on longer and the fan rarely shuts off - then the batteries die when dry camping within a day.

I have pullled off the cover and the blower wheel seems to be working - i greased it up with no improvement.

Any suggestions on what I should do, parts I should replace...  Etc...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Jason

Could there possibly be something blocking the air intake for the furnace? Perhaps a nest or insect home? Worth a try to check.

Bill

...blocking the air intake for the furnace

Replace nothing until you can determine the cause. Throwing parts at it is expensive and won't help unless you are very lucky

The air intake found outside the RV is for combustion air and has nothing to do with the hot air blowing side. In theory, if the incoming air from the outside is insufficient, (perhaps blocked somewhat) a sail switch in the furnace should fail to operate, and if this happens, the furnace should never light. However, as Bill said, it should be checked anyway as that is a favourite nesting place for critters.

The inside air intake for heating is behind a larger inside grill, usually directly in front of the furnace. This one could be blocked or if you have any (output) ducts in the floor, you should check those for dirt and/or blocking.

Does the fan motor seem as loud now as it did when it worked well when standing nearby??

Sounds to me like the inside air intake (circulation air return) is blocked. It is likely just a hole in the side of the furnace casing, but it may have a filter ahead of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom