RV Gas Mileage Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ibenthinken

Hello I'm new to this forum & Would like to see the TRUE MPG people are getting?
Please keep post to Year/Model/Make/Engine type/Average Speed/ AC ON or OFF/ Led foot/Light foot
And checking your mileage by filling up, then checking miles driven divided by number of gallons ( No guessing) Thanks?
Example -We have owned
1) 1989 Toyota Dolphin (Approx 22') 4 cyl 22R Motor driving fast as it will go LOL.-----15-16 MPG
2) 1991 Dodge Ram 250 Roadtrek Versatile 360 engine 2,000 mile trip Atl- Thumb area of MI. & back
    Way Up- through the night to avoid traffic low traffic , Avg speed 65 AC on 50% of time Avg 15.1 MPG Light foot
    There- Driving in stop and go and side roads AC 50% of time 13.5 Light foot
    Way Back- through the night again, low traffic one accident held up for 1 hr. Avg speed 68,AC 50% of time 14.8 MPG Heavier foot
Also interested in what people are getting pulling TT- Would like to know Vehicle towing with engine type as well as type of Camper Towed. We are recovering from the 2008 losses we took and would like to get an affordable used pull behind or RV that allows money left over to use it as well if you know what I mean? My wife likes the Class C's but I'm concerned it would prohibit longer trips. I've been seeing 5-10mpg mostly with these with the exception of the Toyota's.  Thanks for any feedback!

1994 Fleetwood Bounder 34J, 454 - Cruise control set at 57 thereabouts. No A/C Light throttle and lots of looking ahead to maintain momentum.

No toad at that time. Slightly underweight I would think. Monitored 2 weeks ago. An honest 8 MPG

43 foot 2011 Winnebago tour 42QD at 60 MPH using cruise-control whenever practical - 7.3 MPG (About 7 MPG when towing a 5000 lb vehicle.

The attached file gives info on my mileage.  I live in the mountains, so most of my driving includes mountain driving.  When out of the mountains I typically drive about 62 mph. 

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
1983 B+ GMC 6.2L Diesel  24 feet long, Brougham  --60-65mph windy hilly no-aircon 18+mpg

On our recent trip, and we only drove 225 miles and not all at once, in a 25 foot class C by Thor, 9.3 mpg. I think if we had drove longer distances at reasonable speeds, we could have got between 10 and 11 mpg.

One comment and perhaps a bit off subject, I keep track of mpg in my van all the time. I realize things are not always the same conditions from time to time. My feeling based on some of the big fluctuations I have had, when gas stations get tankers of gas to fill their tanks, there is a great deal of difference in the gas quality. Mainly I sometimes think they are getting a higher percent of alcohol from some tankers, and at other times more or less pure gas. I suppose they could also mix older gas sometimes to get rid of it. I have gotten 17 mpg on the road before and I have got as high as 26 mpg not many days from the low mpg. Again realize that many factors play into all this but I am sure that gas quality plays a factor in this as well. I'd say an average is more like the true mpg over a period of time. Best!

2007 43' with tag, towing a toad, mostly in the western states (mostly WEST of South Dakota....... ) cruise control generally set at 65, no special care for mileage. I drive to suit my needs and to try to keep my inconvenience to others to a minimum. So I take off at stop signs full throttle when there are cars behind me wanting to make it thru the light too. The 400 Hp Cat engine monitor shows 6.7 MPG average for the last 32xxx miles. Sometimes the gen set is on, the HydroHot is on for showers every day using diesel out of the tank so measuring fillups isn't very accurate for my rig. The engine computer is much more believable.

Ken

I totally Agree camperAL and GREAT Stats RV Cyclist! There are so many factors from gas quality, accurate pump amounts, weather, Traffic, Terraine etc. Though this may seem futile to some I was interested in getting an overall feel for the different campers finds on mileage. Camping definitely should not be about the mileage but given the cost to operate ,this can be a big factor when planning atrip and making a purchase. I recently saw a post that said if I were concerned about mileage I would buy a Prius and tent it (Very True) But upon making my decision as to what to purchase these facts are something I REALLY HAVE TO consider (unfortunately at present) and my hope is to help inform others before biteing off more than they can chew in their Zeal for the Camping Life dream. Thank You to everyone who contributed to this forum and to future posters.

I ran over 7000 miles in this summer. We did a loop around the western states. The only state out west I wasn't in was Utah. I drive 65 on cruise control when I can. I run the dash air when I want and if it isn't cool enough I run the gen and both roof air. I don't separate out fuel for the gen. I am allways towing my toad. I think I hit a majority of the hilly roads and high passes. My overall average was 9.35 mpg.
I prover to my self that running 55 in 5th gear (California speed limit when towing) does not get better milage.
Bill

I checked it once about 10 years ago---8.3 mpg over 6000 miles, haven't checked it since.  Don't care.

Signature will show the F-350 Crew cab duelly with 7.3 diesel, pulling a 15,000 lb. fiver. Ride in comfort, tow with ease, / /and live in comfort. Fuel economy never entered into the picture. If I have to worry about fuel economy then it is time for me to stay home.

2008 Ford F250 Extended Cab, Long Bed, 5.4L Gasser, highway 14MPG fairly light foot, with 31ft (heavy) TT 6-7MPG light foot.
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Duramax,  17MPG highway @65-70, 12-13MPG with 4500lb truck camper or 31ft TT (heavy) at 65MPH

Have recently purchased class b+ 23' R-vision with 6.0 Chevy.  Plenty of power, but mileage averaged a bit over 10 driving unit back from Chicago to LV.  Probably drove around 64 MPH most of the time, sometime a bit less.  Dash AC on almost all the way.

The rig is my signature gets an honest 12-13 MPG when on the interstate, cruise control, at 62 mph.

Reducing speed to 55 will yield a 20% increase in mpg.

I have never been a "lead foot,"  or a "hinge foot."  It was not allowed in our house.  Smooth steady speed was. 

I was trained to drive by a very professional semi driver, my father. ( 4 million miles accident free) 

Even as an adult, he continued to teach.  It was often easier just to let him drive. :)

2011 Winnebago Vista 35F pulling a 2011 Honda Fit, average over 8,000 miles is 7.5 mpg. Since we've been in the East the last 3k has been closer to 8 mpg. Driving 55-60 mph. Vista weighs 19,800 lbs and the Fit weighs 2,860 lbs.Weights were last checked 7-4-14

I picked up a used R-Vision 235 in Chicago on the 23rd of August and drove it back to Las Vegas through Denver (up to over 11,000 ft.)  This unit has 6.0 ltr. Chevy engine.  We averaged around 10.5 mpg for the entire trip driving between 62 and 68 mph.  I was going to ask some of you if you thought an aftermarket exhaust or air induction system would help, but from what I gather, I am doing just fine.  Love the forum!

Back
Top Bottom