RV Generator Issues - Ran for a while then I shut it off and now it won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmccann

Longtime listener, first time caller and RV newbie.

We bought this 92 Mallard Sprinter A Class RV in the spring for some summer fun, we ended up putting some work into it and have yet to take it out dry camping. Tonight I opened up the generator bay because the guy I bought it from said it did not work. We have discovered he is very not handy. Anyway, the RV switch on my dash turned over the generator but it just wouldn't stay running, but it sounded super healthy...I know what an engine should sound like...

Anyway, I went out to the Generator bay and opened it up and discovered that the Line breaker switches were both turned on. So I turned them off and started the generator with the switch on the unit. It started immediately and runs beautifully. So I let it run for a while since It had likely been a while since it had been used and then after 20mins or so shut it down. Just to ease my mind, I re-parked the RV and tried starting the generator from the dash again and nothing happened. Went back out to the generator itself and tried the start button....Nothing. Could the batteries have been drained that quickly? Just a week before I had 2 new house batteries installed and a new engine battery as well as a new starter.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. It is now plugged back into shore power (house).

Thanks in advance!

Make and Model is a Generac NP-45G.
I haven't tried replacing the fuse yet. That was going to be my next step. Also, I haven't tried starting the RV and letting it run before starting the generator. It was a bit late last night and I'd run out of time. I will try that as well.

How much gas in your coach?  The generator gas tube will only allow it to draw gas down to 1/4 tank, to keep it from depleting the gas supply for the coach.  Could that be it, and if you are parked on an angle, could help or hurt that scenario.

SpencerPJ said:
How much gas in your coach?  The generator gas tube will only allow it to draw gas down to 1/4 tank, to keep it from depleting the gas supply for the coach.  Could that be it, and if you are parked on an angle, could help or hurt that scenario.

I had thought of that. The gas gauge on the dash shows just under half, but it is very sensitive to being on a hill. I was tempted just to take it out and put 40 bucks of gas in it to see if that took it over the edge. I feel like this might be it just based on how well it ran when it was running.

jmmccann said:
I had thought of that. The gas gauge on the dash shows just under half, but it is very sensitive to being on a hill. I was tempted just to take it out and put 40 bucks of gas in it to see if that took it over the edge. I feel like this might be it just based on how well it ran when it was running.

LOW gas will not stop it from turning over. You state you get nothing when you try to start the genny. This to me means it does not turn over. Am I incorrect?

I do not know where you are getting gas. In southern NV just filled up at $2.62 a gallon for regular.

darsben said:
LOW gas will not stop it from turning over. You state you get nothing when you try to start the genny. This to me means it does not turn over. Am I incorrect?

That Is true. It won't even engage. But it was my understanding that the RV prevented the generator from starting if gas was low?

jmmccann said:
That Is true. It won't even engage. But it was my understanding that the RV prevented the generator from starting if gas was low?
It does this by having the pickup tube in the tank not be on the bottom, but instead it's high enough in the tank to be in air instead of in gasoline once the tank gets below roughly one quarter full. So it's mechanical, not electronic.

Back
Top Bottom