RV Insurance Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnrzryd

Just purchased a MH and will be picking up in 8 weeks or so.  What insurance companies do you like? 

I've heard of FMCA Insurance but can't seem to find them on the web.  If anyone happens to have a link it would be appreciated.

FMCA is the Family Motor Coach Association and is not an insurance company.  There are several companies the offer RV insurance, but they vary depending on the garaging state for the RV.  A Google search on rv insurance will turn up a lot of choices.

This page from our Resources database gives some links.

Online quoting systems are your best friend, and just about every major insurance company has them on their websites.  I think I ran online quotes through GMAC, Farmer's, Allstate (who I have my other home/auto insurance through), State Farm, Geico, Progressive, and a couple no names who I found online (who ended up just being brokers for larger companies).  That's what you need to do, to know what's best for your specific rig and planned uses.  Make sure YOU get to declare the RV's value in the event that it's totalled, and research the roadside assistance limits if you plan to use what the insurance company offers.  Progressive was by far the best/cheapest for me (as many others will attest) so that's what I have.

Make sure you get a policy geared toward RVs and not just a glorified automobile policy.  With regard to FMCA, join and you will be eligible for the insurance they sponsor.  The cost is minimal and you get other benefits, including a very nice monthly magazine with good articles.

ArdraF

Amen to the advice from the others. One place you should get a quote from is ExplorerRV.com, but please get quotes from several places before you decide.

Everybody's personal situation and needs are different. Plus rates are different in each state and different companies handle their rates differently.  A company that is great for one person and has low a rates may be an expensive choice for someone else. For that reason, everybody has to shop for their own insurance.

What is the general thinking pm Continued Service plans such as Good Sam?  Are they worth the cost?

thanks Bart

CSP or extended warranties, are insurance policies.  They can pay off if you have a major problem, like an engine or transmission failure, but you may or may not recover the cost over the life of the policy in claims on other items.  A lot depends on your comfort level of self funding for repairs vs. the knowledge that you have insurance against repairs.  We're on our 3rd extended warranty and have either broken even or saved a bit over the life of the previous 2.  We just bought the 3rd policy last month and feel it's worth it, to us.

If you do buy a policy, be sure to get an exclusionary policy, one that lists the items NOT covered.  Everything else is assumed to be covered.  And read the entire policy, including the fine print, and follow the claim procedures to the letter.

Rev Bart said:
What is the general thinking pm Continued Service plans such as Good Sam?  Are they worth the cost?

Sure they are, if something major fails and you actually use them.  ;)  If you have a coach in good shape and/or you are comfortable repairing some small things yourself, then take the money you'd spend on a CSP ($100/month is not uncommon) and sock it away in a savings account or CD.  Then you have the money (w/ interest) for major repairs if needed, but you're not giving it away to the company when it's not needed.  That being said, if you're a full-timer (or "most" timer) on the road for months at a time I could see the benefit of having the policy.

Ned said:
CSP or extended warranties, are insurance policies.  They can pay off if you have a major problem, like an engine or transmission failure,...

Major problems may not be covered under certain circumstances.  Some policies exclude secondary failures.  If your radiator hose busts and your engine burns up, the engine failure may be excluded because it occurred as a secondary result of the primary radiator hose failure.  So they might reimburse you $50 on a $5,000 repair bill.

Frank, that's why you read all the fine print before buying.

Most policies have exclusions like that, so reading the fine print forewarns you but doesn't eliminate the problem. Because of such exclusions, an Extended Warranty is worth quite a bit less than it would seem on the surface.  The example Kodiak cited comes under the heading of a maintenance failure too - a maintenance part ( the hose) caused a non-maintenance part (the engine) to fail. Most policies would exclude coverage for that reason as well - you are supposed to keep the rig "properly maintained".

Try The Hartford, particularly if you're an AARP member. I just switched to them from Progressive and cut my premium cost by 40%.

Bob

It seems to me that for the past month everytime I have turned around there was another big expense that was part of the RV start up.  I needed to decide on insurance and that was one of the less painfull points on the startup list.  I called my car insurance company, GEICO, and asked for a quote and in five minutes I had a quote that was much less than I was expecting.  I cross checked two online places and went back and signed up with GEICO.

Insurance for a year is about what an anti sway bar is, or half an air bag set, or a quarter of a hitch, or two tanks of fuel.  Everything is relative and all of my stuff, including the insurance, is less expensive as I have a very small TT.

Mark

MarkInNC said:
Insurance for a year is about what an anti sway bar is, or half an air bag set, or a quarter of a hitch, or two tanks of fuel.  Everything is relative and all of my stuff, including the insurance, is less expensive as I have a very small TT.

Mark

Yup.  Insuring a trailer is a nice surprise.  Because it has no drive train, you do not have to carry liability.  All you need is collision and comp.

You always need liability coverage.  Let me break a leg in your trailer and see what happens without it.

Ned said:
You always need liability coverage.  Let me break a leg in your trailer and see what happens without it.

Homeowners policy carries that for us folks with a permanent place of residence.  :p

Carl L said:
Homeowners policy carries that for us folks with a permanent place of residence.  :p

Co-worker of mine with a TT said his homeowner's covers the trailer when they're camping, and the tow vehicle's auto policy covers the TT when moving.  He didn't have to buy anything extra whatsoever, according his insurance agent.  This is in Illinois, other states may differ.

scottydl said:
Co-worker of mine with a TT said his homeowner's covers the trailer when they're camping, and the tow vehicle's auto policy covers the TT when moving.  He didn't have to buy anything extra whatsoever, according his insurance agent.  This is in Illinois, other states may differ.

Also may not apply in Ill either.  Don't just take a friends, or salesmans word as correct.  Check with your state insurrance commission make it a written request for this information so you have the answer in writing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom