RV Insurance Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homeowners policies normally cover "personal property" away from the home and provides liability for members of the household wherever they are.  Personal property is usually things like clothing, cameras, sporting equipment, etc.  Maybe that would stretch to replacing a pop-up that burned in a campground fire, but I wouldn't count on a homeowners policy to cover the loss of a $30,000-$50,000 trailer.

I also wouldn't count on the auto policy to replace that same trailer if it were totaled in an accident. The auto liability policy covers any damage done BY the trailer while being towed, but it would be unusual for it to cover any damage done TO the trailer under the auto's collision & comp.

I have no knowledge of how various policies are written in Illinois, but your co-worker should ask some very specific questions of his agent. And get answers in writing.

Normally the auto policy on the tow vehicle covers the trailer while it is attached.  Once you are unhooked the auto policy will not cover liability.  Your homeowners liability will cover if you have a home owners policy.  Full timers need toi add CPL(Comprehensive personal liability.  That is the major difference in a full timers policy.  Your personal property should be extended from  your homeowners policy, but may be limited to a percentage of your coverage on the homeowners.  The big problem is the trailer itself.  There is very limited blanket coverage for trailers on a homeowners policy intended to cover a utility trailer etc. AND THEN ONLY FOR THE PERILS OF THE HOME.  Even a mobile home owners policy does not cover collision.  An RV policy covers the gaps best . Adding to your auto policy is seconde bes but has problems.  Noi coverage for personal property and questions of liability.

Tony

scottydl said:
Co-worker of mine with a TT said his homeowner's covers the trailer when they're camping, and the tow vehicle's auto policy covers the TT when moving.  He didn't have to buy anything extra whatsoever, according his insurance agent.  This is in Illinois, other states may differ.

I have a USAA policy issued in the state of California.  My trailer is a listed vehicle on my auto policy.  It is covered for collision loss and comprehensive loss (fire, theft, vandalism, etc..  Just like the other vehicles on my policy it would be covered no matter where I "parked" it.  If a campfire burned down my tow vehicle I would assume it to be covered.  Same with my trailer vehicle.

The trailer does not have liability coverage.  My homeowners has a comprehensive liability coverage that covers me for whole series of torts including things like defamation and libel not remotely connected with property.    I maintain an umbrella policy over my automotive and homeowners policy bumping the liability coverage of both up materially.  Sue me, sue my insurance company. 

If I were full timing or if I had a motorhome full of treasures I might want to move to a specialized policy.  However, I have a 23 foot travel trailer used for vacation uses.  Folks, there ain't a whole lot there to lose.  Maybe a camera and a laptop might be at hazard but I would proceed under the comprehensive coverage on my auto policy and expect reimbursement less my deductible.

Anyway, the motto here is read your policy. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom