RV Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffro

Question...
I’ve seen people post online that they will run their inverter all the time while RV is in use; only time inverter is off is when RV isn’t being used. Talked with Jayco tech today and he mentioned that inverter should be only used 20-30 minutes at a time, and use generator majority of the other times.
So, do you guys have your inverter on all the time? Or will this damage the inverter with constant use?
Thanks🤙🤙🤙

Question...
I’ve seen people post online that they will run their inverter all the time while RV is in use; only time inverter is off is when RV isn’t being used. Talked with Jayco tech today and he mentioned that inverter should be only used 20-30 minutes at a time, and use generator majority of the other times.
So, do you guys have your inverter on all the time? Or will this damage the inverter with constant use?
Thanks🤙🤙🤙
When boondocking our inverter is on about 16 hours a day. Never heard of such of thing as only running an inverter only 20-30 minutes at a time. If you have limited battery capacity, and with your inverter on, it runs down the batteries, then yes, shut it off and run the generator. When connected to shore power or when we have the generator running, we shut off the inverter.

20 years and going strong. Was this a JAYCO Employee tech or a dealer tech? Good inverter used correctly should have no problems. IF run where it cannot dissipate heat, has to small a gauge wire or is run near max capacity for long periods then life of inverter will decrease

When boondocking our inverter is on about 16 hours a day. Never heard of such of thing as only running an inverter only 20-30 minutes at a time. If you have limited battery capacity, and with your inverter on, it runs down the batteries, then yes, shut it off and run the generator. When connected to shore power or when we have the generator running, we shut off the inverter.
Tech gave Yellowstone as an example. In the morning in Yellowstone the National Park doesn’t want people to use their generators because of all the noise. So tech said this was one of those 20-30 minute windows to turn on inverter to make a cup of coffee...

20 years and going strong. Was this a JAYCO Employee tech or a dealer tech? Good inverter used correctly should have no problems. IF run where it cannot dissipate heat, has to small a gauge wire or is run near max capacity for long periods then life of inverter will decrease
I was talking to a Jayco tech at a Jayco dealer in Mesa, AZ...

I only have my inverter on when I am using it. I have it hidden in an area where I cannot see it, but I also have a switch and turn the inverter on with the stock 200 amp relay that is also used to assist with the vehicle start by using the house battery. I won't be using the inverter at any time I need to use the relay for vehicle start assist, so it makes an excellent relay for the hidden inverter that is normally off when it's own inverter switch is on.

-Don- Reno, NV

In my fifth wheel, I have a inverter on the circuit for the fridge. It’s on when we are traveling down the road to keep everything cold and frozen. Traveling from NH to FL, the first day is at least 12 hours. When we stop for the night, I shut it off so I don’t run down the battery. My truck keeps the battery charged and the battery keeps the inverter running.

There are inverters, inverters, inverters, batteries and batteries. And the entire system makes a difference.

I started with a Xantrex prosine-2.0, 2,000 watts and about 500 amp hours of battery (more actually)

This inverter is an inverter/charger with power pass through so I left it ON for like 13 years except when the rig was in the shop.. So long as I had shore power it switched to "Standby" and passthrough... When it died I got a Freedom 2000xc (Also 2000 watt pure sine wave) and ran it the same way.. I don't recommend the Freedom as it's hard to connect the 120 volt leads but otherwise it's a good unit and inexpensive.

it's behind me as I type. not running much on the 120 side but it powers my radios nicely. only 300 amp hours of battery remain

now some inverters do not have power pass through.... You need to turn them off so an external switch switches to shore power

Others are designed for short term use only (Like the Jayco Tech said) I seriously doubt any RV maker would install that kind. (But .. well..they are cheaper).

Now batteries. you need a lot of battery about 200 amp hours per KW of inverter or more (More batterry longer run)

Oh when my Rig spent a month or 2 in a shop. The shop could not provide 30 amp But could 20.. My Converter was a "P" model (Plug in) So I plugged the converter in direct to the shop via a 100' Extension cord and ran the inverter nearly full time to power TV's computers and such. oh and to make my coffee. I did have to kick the converter into boost mode to make coffee however.

My inverter never gets turned off,, when at home the coach is plugged in to AC power and the inverter is by passed thru the ATS.. The instant that I unplug the coach AC current, the inverter, (3500 watt) is online for all my AC use,,, that is when battery monitoring is necessary.>>>Dan
( Driving down the road the inverter is in use,, but,, the 160 Amp alternator is keeping the battery bank full.. My alternator is a DUVAC type, meaning that it charges both battery banks simultaneously and keeps them separate...

Last edited:
...he mentioned that inverter should be only used 20-30 minutes at a time, and use generator majority of the other times.
Find another tech. This one is clueless.

My inverter is on 100% of the time that I am not on shore power or using the generator. That’s what it is for!!

This is another example of the total nonsense that passes for “expert information“ in this industry.

Find another tech. This one is clueless.

My inverter is on 100% of the time that I am not on shore power or using the generator. That’s what it is for!!

This is another example of the total nonsense that passes for “expert information“ in this industry.
That’s what I figured...
Last week we took a 3 day, 830 mile trip down to Tucson & Patagonia, up the eastern part of AZ thru Clifton (HUGE mining operation there) Alpine & Springerville, and finally over to Payson & then back down to the valley...Inverter was on for 95% of time, had to be recharged (generator) early in mornings, which took about 30 min or so to fully recharge...
That’s what it is for🤙🤙🤙

Is it on actually running stuff or just turned on? I only turn my 4KW inverter (a cheap MSW but it works well for me) on when needed which isn't often. Such as I want to heat up something in the MW oven when I need it to be quiet. Or to make coffee. Or so I do not have to run my generator for only a couple of minutes.

I use a small pure sine wave inverters to keep small batteries charged. Everything else is 12 volt stuff.

I assume you have a large RV with many AHs of batteries. Perhaps a 120 VAC refrigerator?

-Don- Reno, NV

Question...
I’ve seen people post online that they will run their inverter all the time while RV is in use; only time inverter is off is when chatiw RV isn’t being used. Talked with Jayco tech today and he mentioned that inverter should be only used 20-30 minutes at a time, and use generator majority of the other omegle times.
Thanks🤙🤙🤙
Wow, twenty years and going strong. Can I know, Was this a JAYCO Employee tech or a dealer tech? Good inverter used correctly should have no problems. IF run where it can't dissipate heat, has to small a gauge wire or is run near max capacity for long periods then life of inverter will decrease. But I am Impressed.

The inverters I use and have used will pull 1 to 2 amps of battery power just being on and NOT powering any 120V devices. That is 24-48 amp hours of your battery power every day even w/o powering a 120V device.

As long as you have way to replace that battery power you have used, such as solar, generator, charging while driving you are fine. If not then turn it off.

I only turn on our inverter when we want to use it, especially when dry camping/boondocking for a number of days in a row. The 48AH of battery power wasted may really come in handy on a cloudy day.

Modern inverters are electronic devices - as long as they aren't getting overheated (high load or poor ventilation), they can runs for thousands of hours without wearing out. Further, inverters with an internal transfer switch will detect when external 120vac is present and automatically go dormant (standby mode). That's what many people mean when they say their inverter is "always on" - it's merely standing by in case external power is lost.

The main reason for turning an inverter off is to save battery power when there is no external 120vac (generator or shore power). Even with little or no load on the inverter, it's electronics consumes some battery amps. 1-2 DC amps is common and some are worse. Over the course of several hours, an idling inverter can noticeably drain a battery.

Back
Top Bottom