RV propane hookup to campstove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendimere

West Coast, Intermountain West, and Hawaiian Islan
Is it possible??

The previous owner of my trailer had done modifications to the exterior pull out sink and stove. He tore out the sink and installed a 3 burner Camp Chef, cutting off the stove's legs and hooking it up to the existing propane hose in the pull out. But it was defective and I had to remove the Camp Chef last summer for the sake of safety. I just purchased a nice Stansport 21250 2-Burner Propane stove w/grill thinking I'd just hook it up with some quick connect part from the hardware store in order to use my onboard propane tanks and avoid those awful little propane canisters.

Alas, the hardware store sent me to the Propane dealer who then told me it wasn't possible to hook it up to my rv. He said this stove is a high pressure unit and I couldn't adapt it to work with the trailer's low pressure system. Is that a fact or is there a safe work-around? Also, how did he know it was a high pressure stove? He said the Camp Chef would work with an rv low pressure system so I'm more than a bit confused how to tell the difference.

This Stansport stove has 2 large 25,000-BTU stainless steel burners with a 5,500-BTU griddle burner between them and works beautifully with a small canister or hooked up to a 5 gal bbq tank (I tried it out at my son's place).

The last picture I included is the part on the side of the stove where the attachment arm for a propane canister goes on. Its end point is flush with the side of the stove. I put in photos just in case that would help clarify what I'm talking about ;)

Attachments

• stansport 2 burner plus grill.jpg
    stansport 2 burner plus grill.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2. stansport.jpg
    2. stansport.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210304_170111.jpg
    20210304_170111.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8
If indeed the stove you have is a high pressure (tank pressure) unit there are two ways to hook it to the RV safely
If the stove has a connector that hooks to those throwaeay bottles then for Motor Homes an "Extend-a-stay" kit goes between your Tank and regulator on the RV and has a matching fitting it comes with a 10' extension hose to hook to the stove.

The full kit comes with a 5'hose to hook a portable tank to the RV if your main runs dry.

For Trailers with removable tanks the Extend-a-Flow is slightly less expensive. The full kit also comes with the 10 foot hose. Same hook up.

IF the Stove has a POL or ACME connector there are adapters to go from Them to the hose (Which has a bottle top type quick connect) Found one a day or two ago in my junk pile but mine is a POL and you will likely need and ACME.. any decent RV store has it.

Yikes ..this is all Greek to me! I need an interpreter lol. But, bottom line, it sounds like it might possibly be doable to hook up to my existing pull out kitchen propane hose? The Stansport campstove did come with the arm connector for the small bottles. I will take your info to someone who speaks "rv bumper pull trailer and propane and connectors" and see what happens!

I am pretty new to this rv life-style. I turned 1 year old March 1st :) Been living full-time out of necessity [rather than for fun] and have learned a lot but still have so far to go!

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge John

Last edited:
Oh wait, nope. After further contemplation and re-reading your post a couple more times I don't think it would work to connect straight into the existing pull out kitchen propane hose since you said it needs to be connected between tanks and regulator. That's all up at the front of my trailer and the external pull out kitchen is at the back. Drat!

You are correct - it won't work.
Your previous Camp Chef stove had a low pressure gas feed, i.e. the output of your RVs standard gas regulator. Your Stansport stove requires high pressure (unregulated) gas feed because it has its own internal gas regulator.

Generally speaking, if a stove or grill is designed to work with the small 1 lb gas bottles, it cannot be hooked to an already-regulated gas line and MUST be connected directly to an LP tank without and intervening regulator.

If you are always going to use your Stansport stove with the gas line from the RV, then it might be possible to modify your stove. We were able to remove the gas regulator on our small grill so we could use the gas line on our RV with the grill. Perhaps the regulator on your stove is located in a position where you can easily remove it and still use the stove.
Vicki

I recently saw an informational video on you tube on a new 20' Motorhome. That motorhome from the factory has a hose installed on the propane tank to connect to an outdoor barbecue. 5' line. If the factory can install them, why not you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom