RV Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeeto

The wife and I sold our 3 season ~22' travel trailer (about 19' living space). It had a slide out, walk-around RV queen bed, dining table and ~6' 3" ceiling. Of course, kitchen and bathroom.
It was small and light and all that we needed. We pulled it with a 3.0L diesel.

But now, we want to buy a motor home that would meet the same kind of needs. Not too big, just big enough.
-old is okay
-probably 2010 or older to keep price down
-slide out adds happiness but not essential
-diesel is preferred
-we don't want to sleep over the cab

Thank you for any advice, greatly appreciated.

It doesn't have walk-around but something like:
Itasca Nation Class C Mercedes Sprinter 6cyl Diesel coach
seems like a close match.

Hoping for more advice options though.

Being in a sub 30 ft motorhome has allowed us to snag one of the last spots in campgrounds several times, at least twice in state parks on Memorial Day holiday weekends making reservations only 2-10 days in advance.

Winnebago View and Itasca Navion (same MH) and the Gulfstream Mini Cruiser (a near copy of the View) do fit the bill.

I had a '07 View on the '06 Dodge/Sprinter chassis. Finally got rid of it, just didn't fit my way of traveling. I also had issues with the reliability of the early Sprinter. The engine (5 cyl) was OK but the transmission was weak and a know failure point.

If you don't want to sleep in the cab over, you want a 23J or a 24J. The H versions only have a cab over bed and a jack knife couch. The J models have a rear corner bed, regular double bed sized, plus the cab over bed . 2008 models went to the newer Sprinter chassis with the 3.0L V6 diesel (there were a few gas 3.5L models built) and the wheelbase went from 158 to 170 inches.

Letting the View go also got rid of a drive train and chassis that had to be maintained even if not used. I usually drove it to Wal-Mart once a month or so in the winter to keep it running. My truck is much more useful and the trailer can sit with little maintenance.

Charles

Attachments

• MH RH side view.jpg
    MH RH side view.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 4
It seems the OP has a very narrow parameter of what he/they are looking for in a motorhome. Basically, it'll come down to a class B, B+, or small C -, all built on a Mercedes chassis if they are looking to go diesel. And, 2010 and under, I don't even know if they were making the C- rigs back then, you know the small bunk over C with maybe even a slide out or two on the Sprinter Chassis, hence C-.

What the OP should do is pick out rigs they are looking at and then query the Forum with questions about exact particular models or Mfg. What is being asked now is for Forum members to shop for them.

Winnebago View and Itasca Navion (same MH) and the Gulfstream Mini Cruiser (a near copy of the View) do fit the bill.

I had a '07 View on the '06 Dodge/Sprinter chassis. Finally got rid of it, just didn't fit my way of traveling. I also had issues with the reliability of the early Sprinter. The engine (5 cyl) was OK but the transmission was weak and a know failure point.

If you don't want to sleep in the cab over, you want a 23J or a 24J. The H versions only have a cab over bed and a jack knife couch. The J models have a rear corner bed, regular double bed sized, plus the cab over bed . 2008 models went to the newer Sprinter chassis with the 3.0L V6 diesel (there were a few gas 3.5L models built) and the wheelbase went from 158 to 170 inches.

Letting the View go also got rid of a drive train and chassis that had to be maintained even if not used. I usually drove it to Wal-Mart once a month or so in the winter to keep it running. My truck is much more useful and the trailer can sit with little maintenance.

Charles
Thank you. Great info.
Look for 3.0L V6 Winnebago View, Itasca Navion and Gulfstream Mini Cruiser with 23J or a 24J rear bed. Nice

The 23J or 23H are on the older chassis. (the number is the length in feet) the 24J and 24H are the newer chassis.

Sprinters were 2002 to 2006 (Chassis) were known as T1N models (Transporter, 1st gen, New) These are identifiable by the single wide louver in the hood (heat/A/C intake) and the slots in the RH fender (engine air intake)

2007 to 2018 (chassis) were known as NCV3 (New concept Van, 3 gen) These are identifiable by the TWO separate air intakes on the hood, one for heat/a/c and the other for the engine air.

2019 to present is the S30 chassis (dunno know what S30 means)

If you have any desire to learn more about the Sprinters, go to the Sprinter Source Forums and get your fill of it till you get scared away from them. Owning a Sprinter is like owning an old English sports car. You have to become "one" with the vehicle and understand all of its quirks, the Benz approval process for fluids and lubricants (complicated) and a whole host more. If you just want something you can drive, stay away from Mother Benz. Benz took the Sprinters away from Dodge in 2010. Gulfstream used the Freightliner chassis, basically the same, but didn't option them as well as Winnebago. Freightliner is owned by Benz so you still see new FL models of them. I changed out the grill, spare tire cover, front hub caps and the steering wheel logo, to make it look like a Benz sprinter

Charles

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1
The 23J or 23H are on the older chassis. (the number is the length in feet) the 24J and 24H are the newer chassis.

Sprinters were 2002 to 2006 (Chassis) were known as T1N models (Transporter, 1st gen, New) These are identifiable by the single wide louver in the hood (heat/A/C intake) and the slots in the RH fender (engine air intake)

2007 to 2018 (chassis) were known as NCV3 (New concept Van, 3 gen) These are identifiable by the TWO separate air intakes on the hood, one for heat/a/c and the other for the engine air.

2019 to present is the S30 chassis (dunno know what S30 means)

If you have any desire to learn more about the Sprinters, go to the Sprinter Source Forums and get your fill of it till you get scared away from them. Owning a Sprinter is like owning an old English sports car. You have to become "one" with the vehicle and understand all of its quirks, the Benz approval process for fluids and lubricants (complicated) and a whole host more. If you just want something you can drive, stay away from Mother Benz. Benz took the Sprinters away from Dodge in 2010. Gulfstream used the Freightliner chassis, basically the same, but didn't option them as well as Winnebago. Freightliner is owned by Benz so you still see new FL models of them. I changed out the grill, spare tire cover, front hub caps and the steering wheel logo, to make it look like a Benz sprinter

Charles

NCV3 Write-Ups is a wealth of knowledge.
It looks like I will need a couple hundred for an Autel tool as well.
Ty đź‘Ť

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom