RV Storage and Theft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leedawg

Hello all, first time RV owner, using it for competition BBQ and weekend trips.  Live in KC area.  Am wondering about past experiences with leaving things such as tables, chairs, coolers, and other supplies in the "basement" of my class C RV and the fact of the CH751 key to all of my exterior locks.  RV dealer says all RV's are keyed w/ the same lock/key.  My RV is stored in a public storage-type area with dozens of other RV's.  Any problems that I could possibly expect by leavinf supplies in my locked-up storage areas?

TIA

Leedawg

I really wouldn't be concerned about stuff that's locked in a storage bay/bin, even if it has a generic key. It's kinda out of sight and out of mind. We've only once experienced a problem with our coaches in storage and, when I got the Sheriff on scene, he explained that it was probably kids who were bored while their parent(s) worked on their RV in the lot.

FWIW they broke a large window behind the sofa to get in, and exited through the door. I happened to drop in to the storage lot, probably within hours of the break-in. My timing was good because it had just started raining, and I was able to cover the window with some black plastic trash bags and duct tape.

I knew right away that something was wrong when I found the door unlocked, and it was confirmed when I stepped inside and found every drawer and cupboard open. It took me a while to realize the window had been broken.

Cost of replacement was something like $1,300 (covered by insurance), and the proceeds of the crime were approx $2 in loose change.

I, too, was concerned when I found out that all of the storage bay keys were the same. Found out the first week I owned the coach! After three years, I have lost nothing. Well, I lost some gas, but I put a locking gas cap on the coach and that fixed that problem. By the way, there are only a few keys that fit all locking gas caps!  ::) ::) ::)

Look at it as a convenience. If you lose your key, just ask any neighbor to open your lock for you.  ;) ;D

Then, go to the RV dealer and tell him you need a key to the storage bays. They keep them in a bin. Pick one. It'll work!  ::)  :D

Ray D  ;D

You know.. I keep wondering about this... Take an rv where you can have power, even solar power may well do it

take a small, I mean SMALL computer (Tiger used to sell a "World's Smallest Computer" about 2x the size of a standard hard drive) and set it up, Pull the KB and monitor and hide the thing say under the dash.

WEB cam, motion detecting, Hooked to the computer

Anybody moving around inside the rig should thus SMILE cause they are on Crime-Did Camera.

My "break-in" experience motivated me to put in a 15' x 40' concrete pad in the side yard of our prior house. No more break-ins  ;D

Back
Top Bottom