rv vibrating after new tires were put on.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

climberbob

We have a 2016 31s Hurricane. The tires were 2015 tires and had 19000 miles on them. The tires had a 1/8 step on the outside dia. about a 1/2 in from the edge on both fronts. The teck told us that the belts were separating. So we put new tires on it. We put on good year G670 which is the same tires that was on it.
We took it out and the vibrating was bad. The steering wheel would bounce 1/4. Front and back was vibrating. We took it back. They said they only balanced the front tires and with dual  tires in the back they do not. They rebalanced all the tires and the vibrating is still there. The vibrating sometimes goes away. Are my shocks bad  after 19000 miles? Maybe there balance machine is off? Has anybody run into this problem?

I would say they are not properly balancing,or you got a bad tire (not likely).  Take it back and have them balance again, if that was the only thing you had done were the front tires, then that is where your problem is.  What method are they using to balance, what size tires are you running?

My RV had a lot of shimmy and shake when I bought it. I put new shocks, steering damper, serviced the air bags etc.

I bought new front tires (Continental) from the Goodyear dealer and they installed them and did a complete alignment including shimming as the alignment was so far off.

I was new to RV tires and they explained that there were bead bags in the tires that needed to break open and distribute. They advised getting up to about 70MPH for a while. On the initial drive home I could not because of traffic. but near the end of the trip home I got up to 70 for like 4 miles.

It was still shaking.  I made an appointment to go back and like 5 days later I took it out again - got up to like 65 and no shake.  I drove around for like 30 miles and no shake at all - I called the Goodyear place from the road and cancelled the appointment.

They did say that occasionally they would get a tire that would not balance with the beads. I got the sense that they don't balance tires traditionally like a car with weights on a machine at least at the place I went.

No idea if that's your issue but you could talk to them about it.

I agree, bad balance. Possibly bad tire tho, last vehicle I bought 4 Firestone destination tires for, they went through 9 to get me 4 good ones. Tire dealer couldn?t believe how many bad ones he had.

There is a mounting indicator ring on every tire. It?s usually about an 1/8? from rim. It?s purpose is to indicate if tire is mounted on rim evenly. You can jack up unit and check this mounting ring on your fronts and outside duals. Drive and warm up tires first.
  It?s been years since I?ve seen any tire shops pay any attention to these indicator mounting rings. Sometimes you have to take a tire off, rotate it, and re lube it two three times to get it to pop up square ( round) on wheel.
  I run the mercury filled balancers and still do my own tire work. I have the equipment. Sometimes I will have to return a tire because it isn?t round. I demand a perfectly smooth ride.

Don't be afraid to have the tires balanced by a different shop. Not necessary to tell the 2nd shop the circumstances other than you had the tires recently replaced and developed a new front end shake. The balancing machines are only as good as the operator and even good operators get distracted. I just recently had my front tires rebalanced by a shop I had never been too. Paid $40 and my front end shake was greatly improved. This was after shocks, and steering damper replacement.

The tires had a 1/8 step on the outside dia. about a 1/2 in from the edge on both fronts. The teck told us that the belts were separating. So we put new tires on it. We put on good year G670 which is the same tires that was on it.

You got bad advice. That's called "river wear" and is rather common on the GY G670 tire model (and some others as well).  No need to replace a tire with river wear unless and until the wear reaches the belt area.

As for the bounce, that is typically a lack of balancing but can also be an improper mounting of the wheel on the hub.  Usually the rear tires on a Class A don't need balancing, but if you get a tire that is unusually out-of-round it might be necessary.  It's also possible (but very rare) that on of the new tire might be defective, e.g.  separating belt.  Tire bounce can also be caused by bad vehicle alignment or bad wheel bearings, but that wouldn't suddenly start when you change tires.

It's too late now, but I would avoid that tire shop in the future. Their skills and ethics come up short, in my opinion.

I too believe in the out of balance theory....
True story.
Car owner had like problem
Mechanic left something (Flashlight as I recall) inside the tire when he put it on.

Thanks for the advise.  He wants to change the shocks and rebalance them. He had his 2 chances. We are going to take it to a different place.
The tires are 19.5 dia.

I have beads on my 1 ton this last round of tires. They're 12.50 x 34" with aggressive tread on after market alloy rims. Big O had to go with beads because the rims edge don't have a configuration for much weight. When the tires were new, balancing wasn't a issue,  or was the first set of the same tires. But after 20k miles, they needed a lot of weight.  Guess I got unlucky this go around. The beads were the only option, and I don't think they are that effective compared to a spin balance.  I won't buy these Coopers again,,,gregg

It's true you can do more extreme balancing with weights than with beads, applying them at multiple separate locations.  But would you really want a tire that was so badly out-of-round that it needed several ounces of weight in multiple places to get back in balance?

High tire mileage doesn't create a need for more balancing weight, but uneven wear and maybe bent wheels will do that.  Not the fault of the tire itself.

Nope, don't need headaches from tires. That's why I'm dumping Cooper's. Plus I'm only getting around 30k miles out of a set. I have them rotated every 4k miles with my oil change. The wear is even, I don't know what happened, things wear fine until this last rotation. I trust the shop, I've been buying from him since 1985. My rims are not reversible, so they have to be re- mounted each rotation, he never charges me for remounting, only the balance.  I like the look of the tires but having to buy 6 at a time, I'm going to something similar that'll give more service. This was my first experience with beads, not a fan of them,,,gregg

Back
Top Bottom