RV wreck in Alabama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say that thing held up pretty good compared to the ones I've seen.  Usually about the only thing left is the wheels by the time the whole mess stops sliding.

may require more than buffing. at least one picture shows frame bent forward left side. :(
Edit add on...I was also trying to discern models of tow and towed. The towed may have been to large for the towing vehicle. That could be a contributing factor to instability.
Bob

buffing. shi? i am sure the shi? hit the fan    no no really i am sure shi? from the tanks are all over the roof  LOL   

well i guess its not that funny if  it was me      feel bad really for the guy

There is a few things that run through my head is either high wind started to shovel him around or he was traveling just way to fast and the trailer took over. Sucks to see a vacation or a nice trip ruined.

One of the reason I will not travel any faster than 55 MPH with the RV in tow. It's suppose to be a enjoyable time not a white knuckle experience. This one I'm sure got a little more than white knuckle and scared the poop out of the driver.

As the bumper sticker read....Thrilling Chilling Killing SPEED!!!!!

I would say speed had a lot to do with it, the tires look good.  It always amazes me when the trailers pass me like I am  parked, and I am going 60mph.

Looked liked they got away lucky. Looks like the tow bar stayed together.

Perfect example - had a good friend call me just Friday, looking at TT's. He knew we had been on the road a while and asked about pulling a TT with his Tahoe. Got the Tahoe specs and the trailer specs - Tahoe can pull 7200#, the trailer weight 10,900# dry. His salesman said it was around 10,000# and his hitch was rated at 10,000# so he was good to go!

OMG!!

I told him to immediately leave the lot and call me before he signed up for anything in a frenzy.

Yep, those knucklehead salesmen are still out there - I am just thankful my buddy thought enough of my experience to call me. One of these days soon, an accident attorney is going to turn the table on those guys - they are a prime target for our goofy liability laws.

I hate to say this, but the insurance company's share some responsibility.  The claim should be denied if everything you say is true.  Towing beyond capacity, overweight, there has to be some accountability.  As they say, "you can't fix stupid" but you can work on it through education.

I know they call it a accident, but?

Actually, I believe you will find that the highway safety people no longer officially use the word "accident", but the word "crash". It's their latest opinion that there is always a cause and effect and "accident" implies it could not be helped.

Improper weight distribution causes instability and I see it all the time.  The trailer is back there wagging like a dog when you come home.  I honk at them, but they seem unconcerned.  These things happen when one doesn't take weight & balance serious.  There's a lot more to towing than, hook'm up and go.

I am on the buffing team! In the words of C.W.McCall "fix her quick with an oily rag and other than that it is cherry!"

Most times a person gets away with a lot of mistakes-too heavy, weight imbalance, too fast etc but there is always a moment of truth.

Have towed a lot of machinery a lot of miles and have nearly bought the farm twice in my younger years when the towed started wagging the dog. The classic answer is to increase speed till the load stabilizes but it doesn't work when going down hill or when you need to turn or making a quick adjustment for traffic.

Towed a 6x12 u-haul from Winnipeg to South Bend last august with our Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-also rated for 7200 Lbs supposedly but with only a 5000lb hitch . At right around the 4500 # mark for the u-haul we made it safely but after running the MH towing the Jeep, it sure looked and felt big in the rear view mirror.

Their are old drivers and bold drivers, but not too many old and bold drivers.

I agree wholeheartedly with the ignorance or lack of responsibility of those who overload their vehicles but let's not allow the insurance companies to decide if they want to cover a loss after an accident based upon a violation. If that happens any common violation will be grounds for leaving us high and dry.

What is amazing is that in one of the pictures it shows the traffic backed up for just a few hundred yards. If something like that happened on I-95 it would be backed up 10 miles.

Really?  The picture I saw showed traffic backed up as far as you can see, until the freeway disappeared into the trees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom