RVing in Iceland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cic317

We are heading to Iceland next week, we rented their version of a class C, Wondering if any folks here have any tip or cautions for us? We are fairly seasoned in the states,  but...
Thanks

It might be cold  ;D

Also if interested in seeing the aurora borealis i can highly recommend an app.

Glendale Skye Auroras

It covers the UK and Iceland and will send you alerts via Wi-Fi / mobile data....

It looks like a wonderful place to see.

Have fun.

Yesterday we returned from a few days in Iceland.
Temps along the South coast varied from the low 50s to just above freezing. Daytime temps were in the 40s most of the time.
Altitude makes a huge difference, with colder temps and snow increasing as you move inland into the hills.
It was rainy with low clouds and winds of 20-30 mph, and occasionally higher. We saw winds of 30-40 mph at Keflavik airport yesterday afternoon. Occasionally skies would partially clear.
We didn't see many caravans (trailers), but those we did see were a little larger than the typical European caravan. I don't recall seeing any Class Cs, but no doubt there are some.
Seems like the thing to have would be a heavily insulated, off-road engineered, self-contained vehicle. Once off teh few paved roads it's a harsh place.
Crossing the ridge East of Reykjavik in the ring road yesterday morning we were in a light snowstorm almost the whole way.

Attachments

• 20190915_092141517_iOS.jpg
    20190915_092141517_iOS.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190915_092147882_iOS.jpg
    20190915_092147882_iOS.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 30
Back again, Iceland is just an Incredible place. Very diverse terrain, weather, areas are very similar to Ireland. Rving in my pinion is the only way to see this country.
Next time would have to go with a 4x4 rig to get to the interior areas. Not sure if we just go lucky, but temps averaged 45+-55+, Not to crowded & even got to see the Northern light twice! Only down side is the expense, everything is VERY expensive!
If you get the chance this a highly recommend trip!

I'm planning to go to Iceland with my wife for 10 days. We are thinking about renting an RV. I just wanted to know is RV a good choice to go to Iceland?

I've heard about the lowlands, and RVs don't go very well on rough mountain roads.

Back
Top Bottom