RV'ing in the winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennaman

This is my first year owning an RV, and I was a little curious about possibly taking it out in the winter months.  We have an '03 Winn. Adventurer.  We store it indoors, and had initially planned to not take it out in the winter months, so it is not winterized.  Also since it was going to be ilde for a few months, I drained the fresh water tank, hot water tank, and drained the grey and black water after our last trip a couple months ago.  So at this point, I would say that it is "dry" right now.  We were thinking of taking it out for a few day's for a little trip, but not sure what we have to do to keep the pipes from freezing while traveling.  As it is now, there is no water to freeze, so no problem.  If I put water in the water tank, would running the generator with the heater on keep everything from freezing up?  Like I said, we are new to this, and this is our first winter, so I am a little nervous to take it out in freezing conditions.  Thanks Phil

While you are waiting on others to respond, you might help by telling us where you are and where you plan to go.  Typical temperatures and weather patterns will play a big part.

Others who know the Adventurer in particular will probably be along shortly, but in general, with a class A or more broadly any rig that has enclosed holding tanks, you can do fine in freezing weather as long as you keep the heat on inside and don't use the city water connection (fill the freshwater tank instead).

Even if you've drained everything there are other steps to follow to prevent damage from freezing.

Another alternative to consider is that some people find it worthwhile to camp in winter without the benefit of the plumbing system.

So you store it in the caves? I was there last Christmas some of the coldest weather i ever saw.

Mostly if you leave the plumbing dry it's OK.
The water tank is usually inside so keeping the heat on will keep it from freezing.
Tracing out the water lines will give you an idea of where freezing may occur and need to be protected.

Yes, we store ours in the caves.  They are very clean, (there are exhaust fans that keep it nearly dust free), and of course climate controlled.  That is especially nice when I want to do some winter projects, just not put up with winter weather.

Hi brennaman,

You could blow out the lines or use RV antifreeze. Or as others stated, know where your lines are so that you know where the heated interior won't help. Winnebago's website has fantastic documentation so that you can acquire the plumbing diagrams for your coach so you know where the concerns are.

Side note; be careful about taking her out on the salted roads (assuming you use road salt in MO as well). These puppies rust up pretty good around the basement in which we learned the hard way. There is someone on this forum that uses some kind of chemical to wash down the underside after he takes it out in the winter so you may want to search on that. Ours spent the first winter on the roads and we had some rust to contend with. You can also search on this forum for Winnebago rust in which it was discussed. Not trying to scare, just to make you aware.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom