RVing with a new puppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grayson_Everett

I'm getting a yellow lab in a month as I'm finally getting over the loss of my baby girl last July. I started RVing in mid 2019 and had an adult lab. Any tips on having a puppy in a motorhome? I welcome any and all advice, it's my 4th yellow lab but first puppy in the motorhome.

Thanks for your tips. I'm excited!!!

We just got a beagle puppy last spring and did several RV trips with him.  We also have a 15 year old wiener dog.

While underway the puppy stayed in a pet carrier on the doghouse between the seats.  There are a couple dash vents there which provided heat or A/C as needed.  He was somewhat vocal at times but for the most part he would stay passed out.

Our vet advised us that a puppy's immune system isn't developed and to avoid interactions with other dogs and places dogs have been.  So that meant potty excursions on less oft used trails or woods.  He did however attract attention by anyone that saw him (he's sooo cuuute) so we got to meet most everyone in the park or campground.

Probably the worst part of it was the frequent trips outside, which translates to having to take him out in the middle of the night.  So the trips weren't particularly restful for me having to manage the dogs but since we don't have a toad we were pretty much confined to the park or campground anyway, so it was just part of the trip.  He quickly adapted to RV life finding my seat to be adequately comfortable and to my dismay having fun licking condensation off the windshield and leaving it covered in slobber.  No issues with him chewing on anything in the RV.  We brought all his chew toys and if he wasn't going to town on those there was always one of my shoes on the steps.  :-\  He could fit under the couch and thought it was great fun to hide under there.  The wiener dog is a veteran, he started out with us camping in a tent so the RV is an extension of home.  He likes laying on a door mat we keep on the dash and keeping an eye out for squirrels.

Looking forward to this year now that the puppy is housebroken and we can go on long hikes, and I can sleep all night.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Attachments

• 20200926_S.jpg
    20200926_S.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
As with any puppy I first worry about health.  Parvo can stay in the ground for years.  Until they have had their at least first round of shots I would be very worried letting them out anyplace I was not sure of.  Next if your moving around finding and having consistant health records could be a night mare.  Can it be done?  Sure lots of people do, but you need to be aware and be especially careful finding vets and record keeping.

We purchased our first class A, instead of renting, in large part so we could take our dogs including a Standard Schnauzer puppy.  We just followed the same routine on the road that we do at home in terms of house training.  We brought toys and watched for chewing things like furniture or wires under the dash.  He's 4 years old now and enjoys RVing as much as we do.  My DW built a custom ledge next to her front seat so he can comfortably lay down with his nose out the side window. 

We took our then 6 month old GSD in November on 2 !/2 week trip. We slept a few nights in the backyard with her to get her used to the MH.She is a working dog and has a lot of energy. She is crate trained and slept 8 hrs a night with hardly any noise.Did way better than I thought she would
    We will be taking her on next 3 1/2 week trip mid Feb. She is our 3rd traveling GSD.

Attachments

• 20201124_141703_copy_756x1008_copy_302x403.jpg
    20201124_141703_copy_756x1008_copy_302x403.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom