RVing without dogs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The issue was I went full time in the trailer and the rescues are not so interested in that.

If you ever do decide to adopt, let me know. I know people. One keeps teasing me with pictures of her rescues that she posts on facebook. I want them all. If it werent for my DH, Id be the crazy dog lady of Burnsville.

My wife and I have had dogs all of our lives. When we started full timing we had two Shelties. The first year out my wife fell in love with a kitten in her sister?s wood pile so for the next several years we had three pets in the motor home with us. Towards the end of our full timing life the Shelties age and health issues made us have to have them put to sleep. At that point I decided that until we left the road and had a house we would not have any more dogs. Our cat died at about nine years - probably from an aneurysm.
We got a rescue kitten about a month later. It was supposed to be my wife?s cat but it decided otherwise and named me her chief of staff. We left the road and bought a house about a year later and got another kitten which did bond with my wife. My wife then held me to my promise to get another dog when we got a house so we now have Sali - a toy poodle.
They make us laugh and we are happy to have them in our lives.

So sorry for your loss.  We know what it is like to put down pets you've had as part of your family for so long.  Just last fall we had to put down a beloved dog at 16.  He couldn't make it up the steps of the motorhome due to arthritis and had to be carried and he no longer had control of his bowels.  He is sorely missed but in a better place as are your loved pets.

We are down to 2 boxers now.  Our beloved baby who was 15.5 passed away peacefully 2 weeks ago while on her favorite spot-out couch.  Camping without her will never be the same.  We lost her younger sister, Lacey at age 7 a little over a year ago.  As I write this post, tears are welling in my eyes.  The Lainey/Lacey era is over and there will never be a pair of goofballs like them again.  Our Gen 2.0 Boxers, Rockey and Trinity are great and have their unique personalities. 

Condolences to you, always tough loosing a pet.  If only the rainbow bridge had visiting hours.

The choice to get a new pet when older is a tough decision. Sometimes you can still be capable of taking care of yourselves but not the added responsibility of an animal. As I sit here in the RV park in Arizona I see people struggling to take care of their pets when they are struggling to take care of themselves. The animal gets older and needs care which older people cannot provide easily. At some point the best thing you can do for a pet is NOT to have one.

Didn't realize initially that this thread was over 3 years old but the topic is still current.  After quite a few years without any RV we found that our travels to see our widely dispersed kids was becoming complicated by having to either take or board our dog.  Then over a period of a few more years we added two cats. Believe it or not we still wanted to go visit our kids and grandkids but decided that we also had some new kids that needed our attention and love so we bought a motorhome to make sure we could travel comfortably and still be together.  Boarding them was never given a thought as the expense and missing them and their daily routines would have been a downer for us.  We had previously had truck campers, travel trailers and even a new 1975 Winnebago motorhome so we were not new to the idea of RVing (it was not even called RVing when we started in 1963).
Now we have a new dog and the same two cats and look forward to making a nice trip up north this summer and, because of age and infirmities it will probably be our last trip of any distance.
I forgot to add that two years ago we lost our 17 year old Shih Tzu and, like the OP, said NO MORE.  That lasted 4 months and we both yearned for another woofer that we had to let in and out and pick up poop for.  Winnie is a carbon copy of Heidi and while she is equally loved we think it was a mistake to buy another dog of the same breed and nearly exact same looks.  Winnie frequently gets called by our departed dog's name, Heidi, and that is sort of embarrassing to us but Winnie doesn't seem to notice - she is not too quick to obey commands either unlike her predecessor.......lol

Bill

We lost our 17 year old pooch on Christmas Eve.

I put my foot down and said their would be no more pets. When my eyes weren't leaking hers were.

DW put her foot down on top of my foot and we have a new companion. It took a while to find the right fit. Pit Bull's were a dime a dozen. But we kept looking and found a perfect match for us. She is currently training us.

We've already made the decision that when our 13 year-old pup passes on, there will be no replacement. We intend on traveling a lot more in the future, and that can be tough with a dog. We plan our destinations around the availability of doggie day care, and frequently avoid activities because of Fido.

We accepted a last-minute dinner invitation last night, which means we were a couple of hours late getting home to take care of the dog. That's not really fair to Fido.

We plan our destinations around the availability of doggie day care, and frequently avoid activities because of Fido.

I find myself planning activities around the ability to take Hank and have avoided activities that I couldnt take him. There are several sites that help with this, but I use https://www.bringfido.com/

My dog is also ok being left alone for 8 hours or so. Ive left him alone that long and even longer when I had to make emergency runs to the hospital with Bob.  I dont often do anything that takes that long anyway. The longest Im ever gone is about 6 hours. I cant think of any activity I would do that lasts longer than that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom