RX in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've heard folks talk about stocking up with meds in MX. I recall visiting pharmacies in MX and finding that they either didn't have what I needed or had only one month's supply of a particular item. What are others' experiences? Are you able to get all that you need or do you have to shop around to find them?

My limited experience suggested that RX prices in MX were roughly half of what they were in the U.S. Is this typical?

I don't wish to stir up a hornet's nest, but what's the feeling aboiut the legitimacy of either name brand or generic pharmacutical products bought south of the border?

I use the purple fronted store 25 yards past the border on the left. I did a price check the first time I visited Algodones several years back and prices were about the best. I have not repeated the price check since.

Do a price check at home first. It will save you some hassle.

I checked the Surprise AZ area and found Fry's grocery store to equal or beat Algodones on most generic items! I looked at costco, sams, osco, walgreens, safeway. Walgreens was the most expensive.

Russ' recomendation for a pharmacy was right on. Easy to find and a large store, although they didn't have one of my items. Not a problem though as there were plenty of others in the area.

Also, the recommendations for optical and dental work were right on.

Special thanks to our guide (he knows who he is) for handholding us to and through this first time in Algadones.

Tom said:
Russ' recomendation for a pharmacy was right on. Easy to find and a large store, although they didn't have one of my items. Not a problem though as there were plenty of others in the area.

Also, the recommendations for optical and dental work were right on.

Special thanks to our guide (he knows who he is) for handholding us to and through this first time in Algadones.

Thanks for starting this thread, Tom. And thanks also to Russ for the info.

:)  Liz
Married to an unemployed man!  ;D

Liz

There are a few other related topics here, such as glasses and dentists. Try searching and, if you can't find them, let me know.

TOM,

For Rx meds first go to the Pharmaceutical Mfgers web site and see how they package their produce (make a copy of the picture of their box).  Then get a picture of the pill, capsule, or so forth so you know how it looks and especially what they emboss or print on each pill.  You'll know the colors too.

Having a picture of the packaging and the pill itself helps avoid counterfit drugs.

Only buy brand name stuff, not unknown generic stuff.  You may be fooling with your life!

Last but not least, look at the packaging if there is any low quality printing on the package be careful.  I say this because I worked in Industrial Engineering for Parke Davis & Company and there I learned that absolutely PERFECT printing and PERFECT photos on their boxes were mandatory to distinguish their official (legal) product from knock offs.

JerryF

Thanks for the warnings Jerry. I had the old packages and pills in hand when I entered the store.

I get mine from India (generic Zyrtec) and have never had a problem, except with the FDA intercepting the packages.

No business wants to poison it's customers so you're pretty safe there - as far as "risking your life" goes, you take far greater risks every time you get behind the wheel. All drug manufacturing plants operate to very high standards. Ok, maybe if it were contraceptive pills I would want a guarantee of content but generally speaking, saving $1200 a year buys quite a lot of risk!

Zyrtec has been generically available over the counter in the UK for $0.50/pill for years now but the FDA only allow the $3/pill prescription-only version. By and large, so long as you stick to fixed outlets (ie not some guy at the side of the road) you should be fine.

Mike.

If in south Texas you would have NO problem finding any type meds as long as not narcotic.  And can get all you need. Just watch exp dates.
Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom