Same price, 3 choices. Can you help clarify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think heavier is better as some others have said especially seeing you have a solid tow vehicle. Sometimes saving weight comes at a cost
That's what I was hoping not to hear but figured was the reason.. less weight = lower build quality.

The Kodiak is at Western, the others at 2 different dealers.

That's what I was hoping not to hear but figured was the reason.. less weight = lower build quality.
While that is generally true, it isn't a rule that is never wrong. Small weight differences are often in the interior materials used and even appliance differences. Large differences in weight do bear investigation. As you compare weights also compare the gross weights as that tells you about the frame and suspension as well as what you can carry. A higher GVWR usually means a heavier constructed chassis, better axles, suspensions and tires. Also check to see what sort of brakes each one has.

Nothing to do with weight police, we have extreme weather here in southern alberta. We can get winds of 80-90mh the worlds most destructive hail storms, snow squalls and temperature changes of 30f within an hour. Plus we are 1 hr away from the rockies and 5 hrs away from the coqahalla hwy. Every year there are hundreds of trailers rolled and written off on Alberta Highways due to adverse driving conditions and overloaded trailers due to ignorance highway patrols are stepping up road side checks. On commercial and private rigs for safety infractions.
In a recent stop check 85% of commercial vehicles we found to have infractions and were taken off the road, untill fixed.
This time yesterday morning it was -22c today +7c and raining with ice rain 1 hour away and closed highways
Believe me, I'm not one to advocate over-loading a tow vehicle. Just the opposite, in fact.
My response was more keyed to the fact that a newbie come in, asks this question, or one similar and when they post that they have a new F150, the whole world piles on them and drives them off the forum with demands that they buy the F-350 to tow a Bambi with.
When the OP posted that they already had the F-350, in my head I said, "So there!"

If your buying from Allen Dale they dont like to move on price But Sean the service manager is a great guy and there parts department us awesome

Are you going to be checking each of these out in person? Floor plans can be misleading, so it is important to sit in chairs, stand in the shower, lay down in the bed, and even sit on the toilet to make sure you can do all of these things comfortably. RVs can be tricky and a few people have found, for example, that they cannot close the bathroom door while sitting on the toilet because their knees are in the way! And my "queen-sized" bed may be 60" wide, but it is only 70" long. I am only 5' 0" tall and my feet hang over the end at times.

Are you going to be checking each of these out in person? Floor plans can be misleading, so it is important to sit in chairs, stand in the shower, lay down in the bed, and even sit on the toilet to make sure you can do all of these things comfortably. RVs can be tricky and a few people have found, for example, that they cannot close the bathroom door while sitting on the toilet because their knees are in the way! And my "queen-sized" bed may be 60" wide, but it is only 70" long. I am only 5' 0" tall and my feet hang over the end at times.
I've only seen the Keystone Outback and Winnebago Minnie in person.. The East to West Alta is in production and about a month or 2 away.

If you are a taller person pay attention to ceiling height. Many travel trailers are 78" high inside. Mine is 81". Most think no big deal, until you are 75" tall with shoes, and it is creepy getting that close to the ceiling or AC unit that hangs down an inch.

Did anybody read the last statement in the original post?
I did and took it to mean he will have it delivered to site and never tow again.

That said. I will give the advice I give all RV buyers.
When you move more than a very short distance (like across the street and even then it can be far enough) the Water changes. Different mineral and bacterial content. This can have what I call "After effects". And there are two things you need to know when you have those "After effects"
1: Where the Immodium is kept
2: The length of "Just a minute" depends entirely on which side of the door you are on.
My Class A was a bath and a half model 2 holes.. No waiting.

Buy the one that you like best. Any trailer can have it's issues, most are minor and trivial, most can be corrected by a somewhat handy owner. Luck of the draw if you get a lemon, odds are you won't. Do a careful inspection, have them correct everything prior to your last signature, that seems to hold the most corrective action power. I am pleased with my Forest River.
I see that Keystone doesn't use Azdel in the Outback or Kodiak, is that a concern?

Also, I just noticed the Outback uses a 9" BAL Norco huck bolted "Z" channel frame, whereas the Kodiak uses a Lippert frame, maybe thats where the some of the weight discrepancy is?

I have no experience with Azdel. Along with this great forum, most manufacturers also have specific forums for their products and you might get additional information from them.

I see that Keystone doesn't use Azdel in the Outback or Kodiak, is that a concern?

Also, I just noticed the Outback uses a 9" BAL Norco huck bolted "Z" channel frame, whereas the Kodiak uses a Lippert frame, maybe thats where the some of the weight discrepancy is?
My experience buying new trailers (one in 2017 and one this past September) and looking at many of them by different dealers/manufacturers here in Edmonton is that the quality has gone down significantly especially the past two years. Even after picking the model we went through 6 that the dealer on lot and each had some issues (some very serious). Picked the best one and decided i will take care of shortcomings when i do my upgrades. I definitely would not pick a trailer without inspecting it carefully, every component.
Good luck in your search.

Thanks everyone, I've already discovered some intriguing differences from all the feedback. The most glaring is the cargo carrying capacity which combined with the dry weight give a GVWR.

Kodiak - 6129 dry + 1471 cargo = 7600lbs
Outback - 6860 dry + 1340 cargo = 8200lbs
Alta - 6851 dry + 2727 cargo = 9578lbs

Would this mean the frame, axles and tires of the Alta are considerably stronger than the other 2?

It's likely that the Alta is more strongly built compared to the other 2 with all its additional cargo capacity. Since you have a big tow vehicle, you won't have any problem towing it.

Just had another choice fall into our laps.. my sister's old trailer which they kept immaculate is up for grabs...

It's a 2008 Kustom Koach KT297. Its a heavy unit, 7725lb dry, 9800lb GVWR. I can get it for around $11k.

I wonder if it's a better idea to buy this and hope that travel trailer prices come back down to pre-2019 levels in a couple years and then snatch up a new trailer...

Decisions, decisions..

I would buy your sisters , in part because its cheaper, its available now and you know it.
The issue right now is if its not on the lot who knows when it will come in and what will be missing off it because of supply issues

X2, buy your sisters. Give you some time to access what is really important to have. If I had a redo, no way would I have a bed that tucks against a wall, someone gets climbed over and kneed. (grrr)

Just had another choice fall into our laps.. my sister's old trailer which they kept immaculate is up for grabs...

It's a 2008 Kustom Koach KT297. Its a heavy unit, 7725lb dry, 9800lb GVWR. I can get it for around $11k.

I wonder if it's a better idea to buy this and hope that travel trailer prices come back down to pre-2019 levels in a couple years and then snatch up a new trailer...

Decisions, decisions..
That's kinda what happened to me. The more people I told that I was looking the more chance someone knew someone. I was looking at a TT and didn't make the deal. The guys dad was there and after the deal fell through he offered me his Class A at a price I couldn't say no to.

Go for your sister's unit. You can live with any unhappiness in floor plan etc. for a deep discount... until you can't... then you sell it on. After that you'll know a lot more about what you want in a trailer.

That's kinda what happened to me. The more people I told that I was looking the more chance someone knew someone. I was looking at a TT and didn't make the deal. The guys dad was there and after the deal fell through he offered me his Class A at a price I couldn't say no to.

Go for your sister's unit. You can live with any unhappiness in floor plan etc. for a deep discount... until you can't... then you sell it on. After that you'll know a lot more about what you want in a trailer.
This is what I am thinking is best.. I've seen some advances in the TT market with things like tankless water heaters, control panel connection to phones etc... plus in 2-3 years I won't be upside down on a new trailer if we want to trade into something different.

Assuming the sister's trailer meets your floor plan and amenities needs, go for it. A used RV in good condition is near always a better deal, both financially and in the all-but-inevitable frustration with flaws in a new one.

So thank you everyone for your help, we didn't end up going with my sisters old trailer, it needed a new awning and some other small things so we decided we really wanted to go new. I believe we may have made a mistake if I didn't get all this valuable feedback from you all.

Based on viewing since it hasn't been seen or has any pictures other than a floorplan, we went with the 2022 East to West Alta 2900KBH.

Also, sold the old F350 and picked up a low mileage 2018 Chev 2500HD Duramax.

Back
Top Bottom