SD card problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
Scott - SD cards (and micro-SD cards) come in different speed ratings.  If your card is a few years old it might just be too slow for your new phone - especially if the new phone is capable of storing full motion video.

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/01/20/demystifying-sd-cards/

Thanks Lou, I did think about that but wasn't sure about all the compatibility specifics mentioned in that link.  This phone is new but not the latest and greatest, so I wouldn't think that the fastest available SD card would be required.  The manual doesn't mention any requirements other than the card being micro-SD or micro-SDHC.

Update to my micro-SD card purchase.  Somehow (I shouldn't be too surprised) the Buy.com purchase I made DID end up being from a Marketplace seller... not what I wanted.  I get the card in the mail, and it's an unmarked, poorly packaged version that is not SanDisk and an obvious counterfeit.  Grrrrrr.  I did some research online and downloaded/installed a program called "h2testw" to scan the card and test its actual size and integrity.  It tested fine and is working ok for now in my phone, but I complained to Buy.com and the seller (as if they care) and Buy.com sent me a refund while letting me keep the card.  I don't have high hopes for its longevity though.

SeilerBird said:
You might wish to try B&H. They have an extremely high reputation in the camera world.

This is where I will be buying if/when I need another card.

SanDisk cards can be purchased in-store at Costco and Best Buy.

Many times those off-brand or no-brand cards do quite well, And I've heard complaints about big-name cards on occasion.

The important thing is it's working now,, Do remember the words of that famous filked filk song

Back it up Back it up or you will loose your data back it up or you will cry in your bear

(The song is No Quarter and I believe it's by  Juanita Coulson, that's a long way from the original lyrics though).

John From Detroit said:
Many times those off-brand or no-brand cards do quite well, And I've heard complaints about big-name cards on occasion.
I have had great luck with off brand and name brand cards. I don't listen to complaints about big-name cards because there are so many fakes going around you can't tell if the person complaining is really complaining about a fake or a real card.

This card may do fine, but I was peeved that the seller clearly represented it as a brand new SanDisk brand card and then sent me a non-branded knock off in a plastic baggie.  :p  Although I'm not complaining too much because I essentially got it for free (since Buy.com refunded my payment and told me to keep the product).

I agree these cards should never be used for permanent storage of anything; they seem so fragile and likely to fail eventually.  This card will just have music files on it (copied from my laptop which is frequently backed up) so I'm covered there.

Back
Top Bottom